The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Twitter integration advice (6 posts)

1. aceinthehole
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Folks!

I'm trying to wrestle with some ideas on how to use Twitter and I could really use some advice.

I want to publish my tweets as posts on my Wordpress site, but I also need to have the @ messages that are directed towards me published as well. I'm trying to create a community site for my town where people can send information to my Twitter account, and it will be published on the front page.

I imagine in my head that people can direct their tweets towards my Twitter account, and then the links they provide (especially TwitPic) would be published on the front page.

I've got a few conceptual ideas of how to control this. For instance, users could add their twitter account to their user profile so it would be validated for publishing to the front page without moderation. Their Twitter avatar would be used as well - but if this makes things complicated, then I'm open for suggestions.

Any help you all can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment with the amount of plugins available, and I'm not good at all with writing PHP.

Thanks!!!

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

There are three routes available to you:

1) Find a plugin that does 90% of what you want to do and add the missing features yourself

2) Write it from scratch

3) Pay someone to write it from scratch.

However you do it you'll then have an ongoing job in fixing bugs, adding new features and generally tweaking things to just make it work better,

3. aceinthehole
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Steve,

Thanks for helping.

Thing is, there are a plethora of plugins available, but not so many demos, screenshots or in-depth descriptions of what they can/can't do. That makes it a bit tricky to find what I need without installing, configuring, testing, erasing and moving onto the next plugin.

I'm hoping some folks can suggest things that they've tried and got working.

Thanks!

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thats the problem with a lot of plugins - often the only way to find out is to install them and then drive people mad with test posts, and yes its rather tedious.

I think the only real feature you might have trouble with is the targeted @tweets - in that you've got to work out how they appear in your blog.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Gettign the @tweets is easy - use the twitter search results rss feed.

6. basszje
    Posted 14 years ago #

.. Maybe in addition with FeedWordpress ( and andrea's suggestion ) you could work something out.

But there are a lot of ways to handle this, I guess find out what works best. I would be vigilant for spam if you post stuff to your site without much validation though...

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by aceinthehole
  • Latest reply from basszje