The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1. highmarkwp
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a wp-site that I transferred over to a new host and a new wp account.

Something went wrong because when I try "Log in" to admin on the site on the new location, it redirects to the login window for the old location. But not only that... if I hit "Log In' on the old location, it redirects to the login window for the new location.

In short:
    - Login at new.com redirects to old.com/wp-login.php and no user/pw works.
    - Login at old.com redirects to new.com/wp-login.php and no user/pw works.

And of course, neither login windows accepts any of my login information, new or old. And reset password doesn't work either as it goes into a loop with just sending new reset email over and over.

I have all files downloaded and can ftp. files but what file handles this and what do I need to do remove the redirect? As you can see, I'm not good at this so be specific as I'm both blonde and female... ;-)

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Blond females can be smart too. :)

So to recap - you moved webhosts *and* changed the domain name?

If so, you'll have to look in wp-config.php and find where is say old.com. Change it to new.com.

Then go into phpmyadmin. Do a search (big tab up on the right) for old.com and change every one you find to new.com.

3. highmarkwp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea, thanks for looking at this. I'm completely lost!

We've made some progress since last night when I posted this.

The admin of new.com figured out what I did – I had changed the url in "Settings" to old.com to "help" the new.com find my database (which didn't help).

However, my guess is that my site – old.com – has the url set in "Settings" to new.com and that's why I can't log in and instead get redirected to new.com. And, since I can't log in to old.com, I can't change it to the correct url...

I looked in my db and it looks like there is a redirect from old.com to new.com but I don't know where and how to change it. I can email you a screen-shot of what the db says about it if that helps.

hanna@highmarkdesigns.com

4. highmarkwp
    Posted 14 years ago #

And yes, when moved over to new.com it got a new domain name as well.

5. basszje
    Posted 14 years ago #

You made a mess out of it :)

If you go to your database ( try to connect to the database on new.com, you moved it I suppose - and setup the new database details in wp-config.php ) and taak a look inside ( usually with PhpMyAdmin or the likes ) there is a table called wp_site with domain in it. Also check wp_blogs and fix it over there. Those especially have a lot to do with abilities to log in.

Also check all blog installations ( eg wp_1_options , wp_1_posts ) since they store domain information as well. Especially in the options tables

6. highmarkwp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Basszje,
    I'm concentrating on restoring the login to my old.com site — which currently redirects to new.com's login.

How can I log in to old.com's admin? What php-file can I fix? I know nothing about databases and how to fix anything in there ;-(

Yeah, I made a mess ;-( I just want to get back into my own, old.com admin somehow. I think if I change the url in Settings, it will fix it – that's how we fixed new.com (but the owner of new.com had his own login to that admin so he could fix it. I don't have a second login to my old.com).

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You aren't going to find the answers in any of the php files. Pick one of the domains, preferably whichever one whose database you can access via phpmyadmin (from the webhost's control panel).

Then do a search like I said above.

8. highmarkwp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Got it figured out. Thanks everyone!

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by highmarkwp
  • Latest reply from highmarkwp