The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Good host for WPMU (10 posts)

1. cbolts
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey I've installed WPMU on a friends dedicated server and he's having trouble setting up the wildcard domain on it. I want to get my site up and running now, I currently have my own 1and1 shared hosting account.

I want to know what the best servers to host WPMU are, any help (even about the subdomain prob) is more than welcome, its greatly appreciated!

2. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

SiteGround is what I use... great and fast service (avg 15 min resolution)... 24gb storage, 800gb bandwidth/webtraffic, domain name included. ~$70 per year (60 if you pay for 2 years upfront). One thing to note though is that you get 7 support tickets included per annum (thanks to Misera for highlighting this) so setting the vhost and wildcard dns is one of those! If you decide to go ahead... please use the link on my blog and I get a couple of extra months hosting :)

Other options??

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Site5.com. You can contact support as much as you like. ;)

4. cbolts
    Posted 17 years ago #

Does anyone use 1and1 for hosting WPMU? I'd really like to stick with them.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Biggest issue I've seen is if the host will support wildcard DNS or not. A lot of them won't do it.

6. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

Don't kill me for this.. but dreamhost supports it XD you just gotta send them a support message asking them to enable it and they'll do it :). DH has been having a ton of problems b/c of power outages + failures and stuff so I wouldn't recommend them if you need it up NOW. It has however.. been very good for the past 2 years :p.

7. morepork
    Posted 17 years ago #

TextDrive - no hassles whatsoever.
    I've installed various dev versions of WPMU over time there, and never any trouble.

8. oppgroup
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

I'd recommend SL Host - their VPS

Great support: YES
    Wildcard DNS: YES (although you may have to ask that it be 'turned on')
    Mu works there out of the box: YES

In fact, they've been running a great 40% off deal for LIFE if you go with 1-year. 30-day guarantee still applies.

For managed VPS with Cpanel, I've not found a better price. I have 2 VPS accounts there myself. Using this link to VPS Hosting will take you direct to current special discounts. Then just click the plan to see the ACTUAL discounted offer. I will receive credit against my own hosting fees there should you decide to grab an account yourself while sale is on.

If only my current job for WPmu installation could have been on my servers at SL Host, rather than at RackSpace running Plesk. I'll be posting my cheat sheet for Plesk install here shortly. Just waiting for my partner in France to send me HIS record of Plesk tweaks to add to mine.

Deb

9. poly
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use 1and1 for hosting. I just sent them a support ticket asking if they do support wildcards. I have no idea if they do or not.Hopefully they do.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't think that 1and1 does. It's come up before here in the forums and elsewhere on the net.

About this Topic