The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Unable to install WPMU on GoDaddy (3 posts)

1. marvc
    Posted 14 years ago #

I need some help troubleshooting what appears to be a failed WordPress MU installation onto a GoDaddy hosting account. For some reason after uploading the files I continue to get the default message "This page is parked free, courtesy of my GoDaddy reseller account."

A dedicated IP has been purchased and assigned to the hosting plan. I've created the DNS wildcard and renamed index.php the default file to index.old before uploading my files. I've even tried typing /index.php to no avail.
    I've documented my steps below so I'm hoping someone can look them over and help me figure out where I went wrong.
    This is a linux hosting plan.

Any responses appreciated.

GoDaddy WordPress Multi-User Installation & Configuration

Note: this document outlines the steps taken by me to install, configure, and publish the latest version of WordPress Multi-User onto an unlimited GoDaddy hosting account. I won’t make any assumptions about your knowledge of WordPress or GoDaddy but will hope that you’re comfortable making changes to your hosting plan as there are a few items you’ll need before proceeding with the install.

Items Needed:
    According to GoDaddy the following items are needed to successfully install WordPress Multi-user:
    a. Deluxe or higher hosting plan. Due to traffic and bandwidth demands it’s probably not recommended to install WordPress multi-user on an economy hosting plan.
    b. Dedicated IP address. This will need to be purchased and assigned to your account before continuing with the installation.

If by some chance you’re running an economy plan then you may want to consider upgrading your hosting account before continuing. I’ll provide instructions for doing this towards the end of this tutorial. For now let’s get into the WordPress installation.

What is WordPress Multi-user?
    WordPress Multi-user is an upgraded version of the WordPress blog that allows multiple blogs to be installed from its single installation.

How Do I Get Started?
    Before getting started with the actual installation there are a few requirements you’ll need to meet:
    1. You must have a GoDaddy domain name and web hosting account.
    2. You need to purchase a Dedicated IP address from GoDaddy.
    3. You should have some FTP software installed on your PC. I recommend downloading CoreFTP LE from the following location:
    http://www.coreftp.com/

Prepare the GoDaddy Hosting Account
    1. Log into your assigned GoDaddy Storefront account and enter the requested information.
    2. Once you’ve logged in click the “Hosting” link located under “My Products”.
    3. At this point you should see links for the “Hosting Account” Domain and the “Control Panel”. From here we’ll go ahead and apply for our “Dedicated IP” address.

Add and Configure a Dedicated IP Address for the GoDaddy Hosting Account

Note: the following steps cover the selection and purchase of a dedicated IP address for a 12 month term. Here you’ll be adding the request to your shopping cart where you’ll be required to pay via credit card or PayPal.

Note: as you’ll see in the steps below you have the option of paying $2.99 per month for the dedicated IP address. So in other words you don’t have to for the entire 12 months. To me it comes out cheaper this way.

4. Click the website domain name located under “Hosting Account”. The “Account Details” window appears to your right.

5. Click the “Apply Dedicated IP Address” link to continue.
    6. The “Dedicated IP Hosting” window opens. Select a term that fits your budget from the drop down list. For me this would be 12 months.

7. Click the “Add to Cart” button once your selection has been made to continue.

8. Click “No Thanks” or “Continue to Checkout” to any additional offers.
    9. Proceed with “Secure Checkout” to complete the request.
    a. Select payment method.
    b. Check to accept “Terms of Service”.
    c. Click the “Continue with Checkout” button.
    d. Confirm billing and payment information.
    e. Allow 24 – 72 hours for the Dedicated IP address to appear in the account.
    10. Log back in and perform the following steps to confirm that the new IP address has been assigned:
    a. Click “Hosting” located under “My Products”.
    b. Click the website domain name located under “Hosting Account”.
    c. You should see the new “Dedicated Hosting IP” located under the “Server IP Address” in the “Account Details” window.
    d. Write down this IP address as you’ll need when creating the DNS wildcard.

Create DNS Wildcard for Dedicated IP Address
    11. Click the “Domain Manager” link located under the “My Products” menu to bring up your list of domains.
    12. Click the domain in question to open the options window.
    13. Look for the “Total DNS” section and click the “Total DNS Control” link.
    14. Perform the following steps to create a wildcard host record:
    a. Click the “Add New Host Record” button located in the “A (Host)” section.
    b. Enter an “asertisk” in the “Host Name” box and the newly assigned dedicated IP address in the “Points to IP Address” box.
    c. Click “OK” to save the settings and “OK” again to confirm creation of the new host record.
    d. Click “Domains” to be taken back to your domains list.

15. Depending on which window you’re in click the “My Account” link to be taken to the main page.
    16. Next click the “Hosting” link located under the “My Products” menu to display your list of hosting accounts.
    17. Click the “Manage Account” link located under “Control Panel” for the domain you’ve associated the dedicated IP address to.

18. The “Hosting Control Center” window opens.
    19. Click the “Content” tab and select “Add on Languages”.
    20. Make sure “PHP 5.x” is selected and click “Next” to continue.
    21. Click “Update” to save changes and be taken back to the “Hosting Control Center”.

Create the MySQL Database
    22. While logged into the “Hosting Control Center” click the “Databases” tab and select “MySQL”.
    23. You’re advised that no database have been created. Click the “Create Database” button to continue.
    24. The “Create Database” window opens. Enter the requested information:
    a. Description: My Database Name
    b. MySQL Database/Username: MyDatabaseName
    c. New Password:
    d. Read-Only Username: MyDB
    e. New Password:
    f. MySQL Version: 5.0
    g. Allow Direct Database Access: No
    h. Click “OK” to continue.

25. The new database is created with a status of “Pending Setup”.
    26. Allow a few minutes for the database to be created and refresh the list. The status should change to “Setup”.
    27. Click the “Pencil” icon located in the “Action” section and document the name of your database which will be used during the WordPress Multi-User installation.
    28. Click “Home” to be taken back to the Hosting Control Center.

At this point we’re ready to install WordPress Multi-User.

Download, Install, and Configure an FTP Client

Note: Before installing WordPress Multi-User we need to make sure we have the ability to FTP files to our web hosting root directory. To do this we’ll need an FTP client installed locally to our workstation. I’m going to document the method and tool(s) I use to manage my WordPress installations. Of course you may omit this step if you already have an FTP client installed.

29. Navigate to the following location and download the latest version of the CoreFTP LE client:
    http://www.coreftp.com/
    30. Save the “coreftplite.exe” file to a location on the local system or network share.
    31. Double-click the file to launch the setup wizard and follow the steps to complete the install.
    32. Double-click the icon placed on your desktop during the installation.
    33. The “Site Manager” window opens. Click “New Site” and enter the requested information.
    34. Click “Connect” when finished to connect to your web hosting root directory.

Once you’ve made a successful connection you’re ready to upload your WordPress Multi-User files.

Download, Extract, and Upload WordPress Multi-User
    35. Download the latest version of WordPress Multi-User from the following location:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/download/
    36. Save the “wordpress-mu-2.9.1.1.zip” file to a location on the location system or network share.
    37. Extract the “wordpress-mu-2.9.1.1.zip” files to the “wordpress-mu” folder.
    38. Use the FTP client to establish a connection to your website root directory.
    39. Click the “Directory Tree” located in the file manager on the “LEFT” to navigate to the location you saved the WordPress Multi-User files to.
    40. Browse to the location of your files on the “Local” system and select the parent “wordpress-mu” folder containing your files.
    41. So you should end up with the contents of the “wordpress-mu” folder displayed in your “LEFT” file manager and the contents of your web root directory in your “RIGHT” file manager.
    42. Press and hold the Shift key while selecting the remaining files. Click the “Upload” arrow to begin loading the files to your web root directory.

Note: for the purpose of this document I’ll be uploading the WordPress Multi-User files to the website root hosting directory. If you’d prefer to install WordPress Multi-User into another folder located off the root directory then you’d create that folder and upload the files to it. So in other words:

Your website URL: http://mysite.com (Upload files to this directory)
    Your website URL w/alternate folder: http://mysite.com/wpmu

You may want to go and get something to sip and eat on as this may take a while.

Once the upload completes you’re ready to install WordPress Multi-User.

2. guliheng
    Posted 14 years ago #

1.Check your hosting plan if match the requirement:
    a. Deluxe or higher hosting plan. Due to traffic and bandwidth demands it’s probably not recommended to install WordPress multi-user on an economy hosting plan.

2.Check the dedicated IP if it works, which may take some time after you create the DNS wildcard.(You can use IP to install wordpress mu?I doubt)

3.Contact Godaddy and good luck. :)

3. marvc
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep! Issue with Host record.

Thanks

About this Topic