The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Permissions after upgrades (5 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, so I downloaded the WPMU 2.7 and 2.8.6 zip installs from Trac and have gone through the manual upgrade of WPMU from 2.6.3 > 2.7 and then 2.7 > 2.8.6. Yes I know there's 2.9-something out now, but I'm a late-adopter :-)

Anyway, after both upgrades, it stuffed up the file permissions in wp-admin, wp-includes, the two files that get replaced in wp-content as well as all the WP files at the root level too (it set all files to -rw-------). It left the directories untouched though - just the files.

I've done plenty of manual upgrades before (right from 1.5 upwards) and I've never had any such problems. I was wondering if there was a problem with the zip files from Trac or if it was just me (probably the latter!)?

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not MU. :)

However you transfered the files up there, the permission were based on what ftp user you were logged in as, and how the server is set up to give them permissions.

In other words, if you were logged in as root, that pretty much locks them out for everyone else. ;P

3. mrarrow
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey andrea_r, thanks.

Yeah, I always log on as root and use the Virtuozzo file manager (not cPanel) to upload the files. The end result being the directories are 755 with the owner/group being the user account that WPMU is installed in and all files normally being 664 and root/root.

Think I'll check with my VPS provider to see if there's a setting I can check which has messed about with this - lucky its my dev server, but this has NEVER happened on my production server.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Heh, I tend to upload a zip via ssh (with wget), unpack it on the server, and them move the new files and folders around accordingly. Nice & fresh new directories that way. :D

5. mrarrow
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, so I've checked this out again and indeed it was something on my beloved Mac that was messing about with the file permissions (shock-horror!).

So I wget it straight from Trac and sorted out the relevant directories to replace. This time the permissions stayed correct but the owner on all directories changes to 'root' - regardless of who I've logged in as to wget the zip file in the first place. Strange as all WP directories always used to have the owner as the name of the VPS accounts that holds the Wordpress MU install (so in my case 'wpmu')

Does it matter that its now changed to root? I've checked out a whole load of Wordpress resources on file permissions and hardening but there seems to be conflicting comments.

About this Topic