The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Theme for admin interface? (17 posts)

1. Internetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

I have not found any information about how to change the way the admin interface (where users write new blog entries and change settings and such) looks. I want it to match the rest of my website, both in width, color and graphics.

Can someone please point me to someplace I can read about this, or give me some details?

Thanks,
    J

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

3. Internetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ahhh.. thanks!
    I was not aware that those parts of the regular wordpress help also applied to MU. I suggest placing a link to that page in the theme section of the MU help.

Thanks,
    J

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There actually is the beginnings of such a page but it's more for end users, not admin:

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPressMU

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually now that I've been thinking about it, and since someone sent me a link to Shuttle, has anyone tried using one of the alt admin themes out there?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

We restyled our own personal blogs, and I did try the Tiger admin theme. Didn't like it.

And most parts of the regular WP codex apply to MU.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I quick look at a number of the admin themes don't impress me much either I'm sorry to say.

I do like Shuttle though.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Here's what we did:
    http://atypicalhomeschool.net/site-news/wordpress-hack/

We called it a hack because if you want the image upload area to not be blue, you have to hack files. :) Everything else is done with css though.

I find the green & beige a little easier on the eyes.

9. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Shuttle looks particularly impressive and the blue theme matches my main site design. As does the default, but it's a bit clunky in navigation. Is this going to work for MU and do you think they'll release a standalone version? They said it will be implemented into future WP releases, but no mention of it being released as just an addon.

10. bryanveloso
    Posted 17 years ago #

As far as I know, it won't be. I'll be taking what I can from the project's mockups and putting it into a future version of WP.

I'm sure people have done it for themselves and just didn't release the results.

11. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea_r: thats a great hack, I downloaded it last night to use it, did a bit of editing on the colors though, but the formating looks great. Thanks :)

I'm having a problem with the Write => Write Post and Write => Write Page sections though, because in IE, it's pushing the text editor down below the option bars. I thought it was just because they were on the left side now, but I found the #moremeta tag and changed it back to the right and it's still not displaying properly. Not sure whats causing it.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

We moved it from one side to the other since we're both lefties. It should be in admin.css, look for a float in #moremeta and change it from left to right.

13. slipxaway
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow, you responded before I had a chance to edit my post :) Hehe. Yeah I just found the #moremeta tag, but the formatting is still off, not sure whats causing it. Thanks for the help!

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Knowing IE, probably some margins. :) It's been long enough, I can't remember exactly what we changed.

15. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

oddly enough replacing my packaged inline theme with the one provided in your zip doesn't do anything andrea, neither is there any change when I edit the RGB values myself!

A mighty shame, I had finally found a colour combination I loved.

16. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

ahh...important note for community members:

After upgrading to MU 1.0, there is a new inline uploader, which appears to render the current inline-uploading.php file completely useless (can be verified by deleting the file entirely)

The new CSS is available in upload.css, which now governs the menus and tabs of the new inline uploader (which is pretty shnazzy if I don't say so myself.

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for figuring that out for the rest of us. :) I haven't upgraded that bit of my site yet.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Internetter
  • Latest reply from andrea_r