The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Dashboard wysiwyg cms hack (or something like that). (12 posts)

1. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

My mission:
    Make http://www.proomoo.org into a site where people can sign up, get their own page and update the simple static layout's images, text, etc. But instead of seeing the dashboard, they would see a wysiwyg editor like for example PageLime

Is there any simple way to use wordpress mu for this?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Then redirect them right to the Write Post screen when they log in?

3. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

That could be a beginning, but it would be better to redirect them to a custom cms page and make sure that its not possible to get to the whole dashboard.

But still, I'm not sure how to do it.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The main page in the backend is called the Dashboard. If you mean the entire backend area where the main functions of managing WordPress occur, that's the Admin area.

There's only one theme that allows posts & uploads from the front side of the blog, and that's P2.

5. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

But is there a way to say that authors dont get access to their own little dashboard?
    I don't think I understand what you mean, there are several plugins that lets you update your blog from the front side and long as your logged in.

I have a little plan for what I need to do:

When a user register and make a new "blog" a folder called "template" and it's contaiment is copied to a directory with the same name as the "blog".

In this template folder there are three files, paragraf.txt, image.jpg and index.php.

In some way, when you log in, you activate a feature that lets you simply dubble click the image to update it, same goes for paragraf.txt

I don't know if this will work at all, but please give me feedback.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

MU doesn't work that way.

7. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hm, I kinda thought so.

If I upload a photo, where will wp store it?

I found a plugin to restrict user access, the problem is that the user can't edit any posts then.

I'll post the plugins later.

8. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

Update:

I have installed a plugin ( Toggle Admin Menus by D Sader ) that lets me do so that authors only can access the profile page. I'm thinking that I could redesign user_edit.php into what I need.

The users will have the possibility to display four thumbnails that links to the full res images. So I have to make a way to upload these photos and a way to display them on their "blog".

They can upload files and on the "blog" and you can find a dropdown menu with links to these files that updates automatically.

The bio will be shown on the "blog" to.

Under contact info you can put in AIM, Yahoo IM and Jabber / Google Talk. On the "blog" I want to show links to MySpace, Facebook group etc. Can I transform these vaues to be used for that and make them show on the "blog" if they are filled in?

I havent figured out how to edit the contact info table
    The Contact info table:

<table class="form-table"><br />
    <tr><br />
    	<th><label for="email"><?php _e('E-mail'); ?> <span class="description"><?php _e('(required)'); ?></span></label></th><br />
    	<td><input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?php echo esc_attr($profileuser->user_email) ?>" class="regular-text" /></td><br />
    </tr></p>
    <p><tr><br />
    	<th><label for="url"><?php _e('Website') ?></label></th><br />
    	<td><input type="text" name="url" id="url" value="<?php echo esc_attr($profileuser->user_url) ?>" class="regular-text code" /></td><br />
    </tr><br />
    <!-- SOMEWHERE HERE IS THE NETWORK LINKS --><br />
    <?php<br />
    	foreach (_wp_get_user_contactmethods() as $name => $desc) {<br />
    ?><br />
    <tr><br />
    	<th><label for="<?php echo $name; ?>"><?php echo apply_filters('user_'.$name.'_label', $desc); ?></label></th><br />
    	<td><input type="text" name="<?php echo $name; ?>" id="<?php echo $name; ?>" value="<?php echo esc_attr($profileuser->$name) ?>" class="regular-text" /></td><br />
    </tr><br />
    <?php<br />
    	}<br />
    ?><br />
    </table>

But I have managed to hide the Personal options:

<!--  START PERSONAL OPTIONS<br />
    <h3><?php _e('Personal Options'); ?></h3></p>
    <p><table class="form-table"><br />
    <?php if ( rich_edit_exists() && !( IS_PROFILE_PAGE && !$user_can_edit ) ) : // don't bother showing the option if the editor has been removed ?><br />
    	<tr><br />
    		<th scope="row"><?php _e('Visual Editor')?></th><br />
    		<td><label for="rich_editing"><input name="rich_editing" type="checkbox" id="rich_editing" value="false" <?php checked('false', $profileuser->rich_editing); ?> /> <?php _e('Disable the visual editor when writing'); ?></label></td><br />
    	</tr><br />
    <?php endif; ?><br />
    <?php if (count($_wp_admin_css_colors) > 1 ) : ?><br />
    <tr><br />
    <th scope="row"><?php _e('Admin Color Scheme')?></th><br />
    <td><fieldset><legend class="screen-reader-text"><span><?php _e('Admin Color Scheme')?></span></legend><br />
    <?php<br />
    $current_color = get_user_option('admin_color', $user_id);<br />
    if ( empty($current_color) )<br />
    	$current_color = 'fresh';<br />
    foreach ( $_wp_admin_css_colors as $color => $color_info ): ?><br />
    <!--div class="color-option"><input name="admin_color" id="admin_color_<?php echo $color; ?>" type="radio" value="<?php echo esc_attr($color) ?>" class="tog" <?php checked($color, $current_color); ?> /><br />
    	<table class="color-palette"><br />
    	<tr><br />
    	<?php foreach ( $color_info->colors as $html_color ): ?><br />
    	<td style="background-color: <?php echo $html_color ?>" title="<?php echo $color ?>">�</td><br />
    	<?php endforeach; ?><br />
    	</tr><br />
    	</table></p>
    <p>	<label for="admin_color_<?php echo $color; ?>"><?php echo $color_info->name ?></label><br />
    </div><br />
    	<?php endforeach; ?><br />
    </fieldset></td><br />
    </tr><br />
    <?php if ( !( IS_PROFILE_PAGE && !$user_can_edit ) ) : ?><br />
    <tr><br />
    <th scope="row"><?php _e( 'Keyboard Shortcuts' ); ?></th><br />
    <td><label for="comment_shortcuts"><input type="checkbox" name="comment_shortcuts" id="comment_shortcuts" value="true" <?php if ( !empty($profileuser->comment_shortcuts) ) checked('true', $profileuser->comment_shortcuts); ?> /> <?php _e('Enable keyboard shortcuts for comment moderation.'); ?></label> <?php _e('<a href="http://codex.wordpress.org/Keyboard_Shortcuts">More information</a>'); ?></td><br />
    </tr><br />
    <?php<br />
    endif;<br />
    endif;<br />
    do_action('personal_options', $profileuser);<br />
    ?><br />
    </table><br />
    <?php<br />
    	if ( IS_PROFILE_PAGE )<br />
    		do_action('profile_personal_options', $profileuser);<br />
    ?><br />
    END PERSONAL OPTIONS-->

PS: Sorry for all the code. It's just for documentation if anyone wants to do the same.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, the profile page is filterable. There's exisiting plugins that add items to that admin page and do things like, oh... add a profile pic.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/profile-pic/

Check out that code. Shouldn't be hard to add more & make it run sitewide.

10. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

Your fantastic! Thats just what I need.

I've been poking around in the code, but I'm not familiar with php. First I thought I could just rename the essential names like i.e. profilepic, and duplicate the plugin. But it seams like I have to put some more effort into it. I'm trying to get in contact with the author and have started reading some about how to make plugins for php.

Can you in any way point me in the right direction regarding what needs to be done?

Thank you a lot Andrea! I've been reading a bit about you and noticed how much you help people here on the forums, and have to say I really admire you.

Keep up the good work ;)

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have you looked at BuddyPress yet?

12. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I have. But I think it looks to advanced for this? I can't really understand how to build what i need with it.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by stavmathias
  • Latest reply from stavmathias