The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multi-site plugin and domain mapping on subdomain install (4 posts)

1. dandam
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I've searched the boards high and low and I haven't seen anything quite like the issue I'm experiencing. Here's the skinny:

1. Our site is hosted in the root directory of a virtual server managed by our internal IT department. I don't know all the ins and outs of its config, but WPMu is up and running - it's a fairly straightforward LAMP setup from all I can tell.

2. We're running WPMu in the root of that virutual server. The URL is a subdomain directed via DNS A record to that IP - so it's blogs.goodness.org - we hope that this will be our 'blog network' home (or parent blog).

3. WPMu is configured to create blogs in subdirectories - blogs.goodness.org/blog-1

4. We have an additional sub-domain pointing to the same server which we want to map to a WPMu site - blogs.moregoodness.edu - We created that site via the simple multi-site plugin (SMSP).

5. We created a blog called blogs.goodness.org/moregoodness and mapped blogs.moregoodness.edu to that blog via the domain mapping plugin distributed with SMSP. So far so good. Everything looks great.

6. We want/need new blogs created on blogs.moregoodness.edu to be created in subdirectories - blogs.moregoodness.edu/studentblog-1

The issue: when we log in to the admin for the blogs.moregoodness.edu site and create a blog it only wants to create subdomain blogs - studentblog-1.blogs.moregoodness.edu - not only is this not what we want, these subdomains fail to resolve because we never intended or configured the server to support wildcard subdomains. I tried mapping these sub-subdomains to sub-directory locations and obviously that didn't work. I also tried creating the blogs on our main site and mapping them to subdirectory domains of the child site - also a fairly obvious no-go.

Questions: Is there a way to create the blogs on blogs.moregoodness.edu in subdirectories using the multi-site plugin as is? If so, what have we missed in our config? (vhost is set to 'no' and the plugins seem to be working fine in all other respects)

If we can't do this with the multi-site plugin OOTB, would this require mucking about in sunrise.php? Am I, in the end, better off creating two installs of WPMu - one for each of our sub-domains and simply aggregating content to what I hoped would be the parent blog via RSS, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help on this.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, you missed something. :) Hang on a bit.

3. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is your problem:

5. We created a blog called blogs.goodness.org/moregoodness and mapped blogs.moregoodness.edu to that blog

You mapped a subblog to that domain instead of creating a new site with the multisite.

If you have any more questions with that, use the contact form at http://ronandandrea.com.

4. dandam
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ah... that makes sense. I think I went a step too far. I created the site with multi-site AND mapped the subdomain to a blog. D'uh.

Many thanks for the quick and helpful responses!

And many thanks for the great plugins too!

About this Topic