The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Need help installing WPMU - Installation Script does not work (9 posts)

1. magnus_ez
    Posted 14 years ago #

I downloaded the latest version of WordPress MU, installed it on a CentOS machine with PHP 4.3.9 and Apache 2. It is installed as a server root. MySQL is on a different server. I've created a new blank db on that server and created a new user and granted full access to the new db. Also verified from the webserver it can log in to the MySQL server with the new account.

However, when I tried to access the installation script on http://IP_ADDRESS/index.php and filled in all fields, and pressed Submit, it didn't seem to do anything. The page went blank and nothing happened.

Thanks in a advance for you help!

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Blank screen means php error usually

Also WMPU needs a domain name to function - it can't work with an IP based url

3. magnus_ez
    Posted 14 years ago #

I mapped a URL to the IP address and tried again but still the same thing. Where can I look up the PHP error details?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you reinstall MU?

5. magnus_ez
    Posted 14 years ago #

I turned on display_errors in PHP config but it still shows only a blank page. Do I have to use a hostname instead of IP address for the database host as well? Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The white page won't display errors. turn on error logging and you'll have an error.log file somewhere on your own box. It depends on your OS.

Not sure about the db host being on an IP.

7. magnus_ez
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea_r, do you mean turning on error logging for php or for wordpress? I think error logging for php is already enabled, and I have configured it to display errors to browsers. If it is wordpress, how do I do that and where would the error.log file typically be stored? Thanks for your tips.

8. magnus_ez
    Posted 14 years ago #

Update to my previous post:

I checked the error_log in /var/log/httpd, and found a couple of errors but none seems to be directly related to what went wrong. The errors I saw are

1. File does not exist: /var/wpmu/favicon.ico and
    2. Use of undefined constant WP_DEBUG

I checked another post regarding the error with WP_DEBUG and fixed it by adding the line define('WP_DEBUG', true) to index-install.php file. However, the page still goes blank when I submit the installation script and no other error is logged. I am out of ideas at this point. Please help! Thanks!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"and fixed it by adding the line define('WP_DEBUG', true) to index-install.php file"

I believe the debug lines goes in wp-config.php.

Put a fresh copy of MU in place. Go visit the site in a browser. Try one more time.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by magnus_ez
  • Latest reply from andrea_r