The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Super fast signups with MU 2.9.2 (59 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

Right, WordPress 2.9.2 just came out with a security fix and I've merged the changes into MU.

You can grab the latest code from the zip file at the end of this page but I haven't tagged 2.9.2, so this isn't final code.

Most of the changes are minor, but this release may have the code from 12140. That makes signup and creation of new blogs a lot faster by cutting the number of queries from around 700 to about 368. I really really need people to test this though. If I can't get some positive feedback about it it'll have to wait until WordPress 3.0, which is months away.

So, please test it on a dev server, or if you're really brave and have backups made, throw it on a public server if you're already running 2.9.1.1.

Thanks!

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've grabbed it and dropped it on my site so I'll play with it and see if anything breaks

3. williamsba1
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd like to know if 2.9.2 fixes this MU bug:
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12206

I'll install on my dev server and test to see if it's resolved or not.

4. williamsba1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Confirmed the bug still exists in 2.9.2. If I update a categories name it changes the category ID

5. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's actually not a bug, that's how MU does global categories! I replied on that ticket.

6. Bike
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Donncha,

fresh install of 2.9.2 seems to work fine and sign-ups are pretty fast now.
    Any area specific area you want us to test?

Ane thing that is there (but I think it was also in 2.9.1):
    - activated plugins do not have an option to activate them sidewide, you first have to de-activate them before the option becpomes available. design or bug?

Thanks, looking forward to the merge, after playing around with WP3.0Alpha for a while, I was very happy to use old working MU2.9.2 instead :)

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

The sitewide plugins functionality works that way. You have to deactivate first I'm afraid.

Some specific changes since 2.9.1.1:
    1. The already mentioned signup modification. Should be faster now!
    2. The core updater should show on the plugins menu in the backend.
    3. The repair table code was broken (not sure how you'd test this)
    4. Some curl fixes. (http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12090)
    5. Editing an uploaded image now works and you can insert the edited image. See http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12082

See the timeline at http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/timeline for a few more changes too.

8. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

Lovely to see all the feedback. Go on, give it a go!

9. OptimizePrime
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'll upload a test copy now, and if it works I dont mind using it on my proper site :P

10. Khal3d
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm going to test it, And i'll send feedback

( I'm sent message to you to your Email about WordpressMu Language file, do you read it? )

11. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, I'm not sure what all you want tested. But, I'm messing with it and so far things work fairly well. One thing that isn't working is the permalinks settings in my new blog defaults plugin. I haven't dug in to figure out what changed there yet. I'm guessing it has to do with that patch to minimize the time to create new blogs.

Are there other parts that specifically need testing?

12. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Another thing - did you mean to take the mu_upload_dir and fix_upload_details functions out of wpmu-functions.php?

I'm guessing that they got removed due to these parts of the merge:
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/12851
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/12850

But, since WPMU 2.9 doesn't include ms_functions.php, I'm guessing we need to put those back in for 2.9.2, yes?

(Just stumbled on this looking for where the permalinks thing might have changed...)

13. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Another issue, at least for me. I can do some of the edits for images, but I can't crop. All the rest seem to work just fine, and yes, I can insert the full size edited image. But, cropping - no joy. The thumbnail seems to be sort of "auto-cropping." In other words, if I have a large image that is oddly proportioned, it's making it square by chopping off the edges. But, I can't crop either by using the crop tool or by using the proportional crop.

14. skinnydog
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am having issues with the 2.9.2 and 2.9.1 not recognizing the #define('FORCE_SSL_ADMIN', false);
    define('FORCE_SSL_LOGIN', true);

15. miklb
    Posted 14 years ago #

I discovered that to crop an image, you have to drag the area you want to crop first, then click the crop button to actually do the cropping, then save edits. Which all worked. It just took me some time to figure out the UI on the cropping. I assume that's the way it's supposed to work? This is testing against the 2.9 branch to be clear.

16. TexInWien
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'll give it a go on a dev installation.

17. OptimizePrime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sign up seems to work great on my main site. (its running buddypress will that make any differences to the signup)?

18. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

miklb - yah, that's intuitive. Not. Okay, cropping does work. Inserting full size modified image is working for me as well.

19. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

DeannaS - I don't like the cropping either. Accidentally figured it out for myself one night!

The upload stuff was taken out and the fix from WP applied because it worked in MU too. ms-functions is wpm-functions after all.

skinnydog - not sure about the SSL stuff. Can you debug it?

OptimizePrime - I doubt it'll affect anything in BP.

20. ikkeookwmpu
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'll give it a try on testing site!!

21. miklb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Any chance this is going to be released soon?

22. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

miklb - very good chance, have you tried the version I linked above?

23. skinnydog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Donncha,

Here are the cookie headers:
    looking at the headers it seems to add a secure at the end if though Define admin ssl was flagged as OFF (worked in 2.8.6) ?:
    Set-Cookie: wordpress_sec_=scfm%7C1267108576%7Ce9a89c2d225aedbf91f947e02d60e2ab; path=/wp-content/plugins; domain=.sites.verf.xxx.ca; HttpOnly; secure
    Set-Cookie: wordpress_sec_=scfm%7C1267108576%7Ce9a89c2d225aedbf91f947e02d60e2ab; path=/wp-admin; domain=.sites.verf.xxx.ca; HttpOnly; secure

Could it be related to these changes?:
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/11881/default-constants.diff

24. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha - I think I found a reproducible bug.

Go to the back end of a blog for which the site admin is not a member.
    Try to add a new page - enter just a title and some text in the description and hit publish.
    Get the error:
    Your attempt to edit this page: “New Page” has failed.

The page will be there, but you have to go back in through "edit pages" to find it and then you can edit it.

25. skinnydog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to add more about the SSL does not seem to happen with sub-folders only sub-domains.

26. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

skinnydog - doubtful, as those changes are from 2 weeks ago and are in core trunk, not in the 2.9 branch of WP where I'm merging from. You'll have to explain what you're seeing and how it differs from what happened in 2.8.6.

Unfortunately I don't have SSL on my test server so I can't test it and it will take some time to install and configure it.

27. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

DeannaS - I can't reproduce that unfortunately. That's a nonce error and I presume shouldn't depend on the user being a member of the blog. Anyone else see this error?

28. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can't reproduce it either,

29. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hm... I'll kill plugins and see if it's still happening.

30. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did a brand new install - no plugins, default themes, sub-directory mode, no ssl or anything else funky.

The problem still persists. I got IE to correctly save a post once, but on subsequent attempts, the same nonce error occurred. I've not been able to get Firefox to allow it even once. I've tried setting categories & not setting categories; setting tags, not setting tags; changing visibility, etc. Nothing has worked for me. It always saves the post or page in draft format and gives me the nonce error.

If you want a log in to this site, just let me know. It's a throwaway site, so no big deal to let you have a site admin login.

If there's something you want me to do in the code to try to trace this error, let me know that, too.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from jamescollins