The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Importing/Exporting Widget Setup? (10 posts)

1. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have 10 blogs that I would like to have the same widget setup. They are not the normal Wordpress widgets but widget plugins. Is it possible to somehow "import" the widget structures in another blog? Possibly through the DB?

Also, what information can get passed? Could the widget parameters ( ie: the text inside a text widget ) get passed into the new blog if it can be imported?

The blogs all use the same theme. And it was taking some time to manually add a specific widget.

2. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also, what table are the widgets using?

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Haven't seen a method and I believe the import/export feature built in doesn;t use the data although it;s been a while since I've checked. The issue with that is that not all themes are built the same with both the names of the sidebars as well as quantity of them.

There's been some discussion on theme options. Maybe expand on that?

wptavern.com/forum/plugins-hacks/297-theme-data-import-export.html

edit: Widget data is saved in the blog's option table.

4. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 14 years ago #

I totally understand. I am only importing to the same theme ( and one sidebar ). Is there a function/command in phpmyadmin that will allow me to replicate the widget (ie: widget_rss) from one table to another or all of them?

My plan was to turn on the plugin sitewide and then replicate it to the other 10 blogs.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Copy the data from one fields to the rest of them. No, there isn't a single command in phpmyadmin to do this, but you do have the ability to edit fileds directly. Open 'em up in multiple tabs.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

or you could write a bit of sql to do the work for you if cutting and pasting seems like too much of bind.

7. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have two blogs on my install, exactly the same...pages, posts, everything, even widgets were configured the same. I had a need to duplicate the theme, rename it, and activate it on the second of these blogs and I've now lost all the widgets (over 30 text widgets with code in them and all using widget logic).

I'm going to have a look in phpMyAdmin and see what I can do. If anyone here can shortcut me, that would be great:)

8. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

Wait...looks like they may be available in the Inactive Widgets section?

Fingers crossed!

9. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

They were there...took some time comparing the two site's widget areas, but was able to move them all into the same order.

10. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

I really hope backupbuddy gets multi-site support.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by redsoxmaniac
  • Latest reply from kgraeme