The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New forum plug-in (17 posts)

1. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

Would anyone mind testing this new forum with MU - I haven't got the time right now :)

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

On my todo list.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Update: OK, I got it installed. I cheated it and desided to install it in the normal plugins subdirectory and make it's use optional for our clients.

Things to fix during install:

- Get rid of all the extra files and the directory that Macs put in there.

- File permissions. For some reason, they're all set at 0700. You're going to have to change the files to 0644 and the directories to 755. This includes the wp-forum directory itself as well. (Took me about 5 minutes to figure that out)

I would not suggest placing this in the mu-plugins directory as it appears to be hardcoded in a few places to use the /plugins directory.

You will also get a missing for_each error when you first view the plugin. That goes away once you create a forum.

There's nothing on the site about how to link it to your blog though and no docs what so ever. Looks like you create a page with the title 'wp-forum' but that causes a 500 error for me with nothing in the error logs.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I left a comment on the author's website. Doesn't work for me either on my regular WP install. (No page created with that either.)

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The author released an update. Still getting the 500 errors though on WPMU with nothing being reported in thte logs. :(

6. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Isn't this like reinventing the wheel? Isn't it more efficient to integrate existing forums like PunBB or PhpBB into WPMU? Are there plugins for that?

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

PunBB or PhpBB (and bbpress) is sitewide and not a plugin.

WP-forums is a plugin and is set up for each individual blog, not just sitewide.

8. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

does bbpress integrate well with MU? I hadn't really tried it figuring the .htaccess file would...well...bar access.

9. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

There were some endorsements of bbpress on this forum. It's supposedly easier to integrate with MU than the other bb's.

There's a thread about bbpress-WMPMU integration here, but it's confusing and I don't know what the current status is.

Any new functionality for WPMU is great, but why would you want to allow members to create their own forums? It's hard enough to manage member blogs...

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

bbpress integrates as a site wide forum, not a forum for individual blogs. wp-forums, if it will ever get to work, is an actual plugin as well and for individual blogs.

edit: Looks like the author is working on bug fixes now. :)

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

HOLY SH*T! I got it to work. :)

I'll post the fixes to the code once I figure how how I did it.

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Code fix here for those running WordPress MultiUser. The wp_posts table is slightly different as (I think) we're running the 2.1 code. Also had to change the name of the page URL as, for some reason 'wp-forum' caused a 500 error.

For some reason, most of the file permissions are set to 700 in the download.

Looks good on a test blog. Off to announce it to my users.

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

this code goes in the mu plugins directory or the plugins directory?

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm sticking it in my plugin subdirectory and allowing users to choose if they want it for themeselves or not. Reasoning here.

15. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike-

I'm very interested in this plugin but I'm running into some problems.

Could you post a step-by-step "idiot's guide" to getting this plugin to work?

Thanks,

Freq---

16. dammie
    Posted 17 years ago #

hello,

Could somebody help me with this plugin. When i activate the plugin i get an error on top of all my weblog pages, only the one that activted the plugin.

Error:
    WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE post_content LIKE '%<!--WPFORUM-->%'' at line 1]
    SELECT ID FROM WHERE post_content LIKE '%<!--WPFORUM-->%'

Could some help me with this??

Thank you!

17. quadrantx
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike -

I notice the link you posted a few months ago to your code fixes to get this plugin working in MU is broken. Could you please repost those fixes?

I would appreciate your help in getting this plugin working in MU.

Thank you!

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by stutley
  • Latest reply from quadrantx