The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU, SSL/HTTPS and domain mapping - does it work? (5 posts)

1. MAVIC
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using WPMU to host multiple WordPress sites, each with their own domain name. I need to provide a secure certificate for one so it can handle secure transactions. Before I buy a cert and start playing around, can anyone confirm or deny that this will work?

Thanks

2. MAVIC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Has anyone tried this?

3. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

It works, but it varies based on which domain mapping plugin you use and what SSL settings you're using.

Two SSL options:

1. Admin only protected by SSL
    2. Entire site protected by SSL

Two mapping options:

1. Site and admin both mapped
    2. Site mapped, admin on host domain.

If the only SSL is on the admin and the admin is using the host domain rather than the mapped domain then all you need is a cert for the host domain.

If the SSL is for the mapped domain then you'll need to get a UC Cert, which works great but it's just a bit pricier than other certs.

4. MAVIC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks!

I'm using donncha's plugin, but don't have an issue switching if there's something that works better.

I don't care so much about Admin SSL. I want to be able to setup carts like eShop and wp-ecommerce, and give them SSL for their own domain.

I looked at UC cert... looks like a wild card cert? I'm not sure how that would work since that only seems to work for subdomains. I want it to work with a mapped domain.

5. MAVIC
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm still curious which domain mapping plugin I'd need to use so that this works.

Thanks.

About this Topic