The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is WPMu the right solution for my business idea? (6 posts)

1. visime
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm starting a new business where people can create a website without much knowledge of HTML and CSS. I will provide templates for them, and they can customize those templates using my theme options panels.

I will have a free service and I also want users to subscribe to get premium features such as:

1. the ability to use their own domain names
    2. the ability to access more widgets, plugins and templates

My customers will be a very niche market.

Can WordPress Mu support this?

Also, is it possible for users to have their own domain name AND email address using Mu? (e.g. theirname.com points to their WPMu site on my server, and they can also use the email address theirname@theirdomain.com).

Finally, how do you pronounce WordPress Mu? Is it "em-you" or "Moo"?

Thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, all that is possible.

(you'll need soem plugins tho ;P )

Finally, how do you pronounce WordPress Mu? Is it "em-you" or "Moo"?

I go with em-youuuu.

3. visime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r for the reply. You mentioned that I would need plugins? What plugins would I need?

Here is what I am unsure of:

1. How does the multiple-domains work with WPMu? I'm assuming I can give each user his/her own CPanel account via my host and then set their home directory to a WPMu installation? Or is that not how it works?

2. How does email work with WPMu and multiple domains? Is the email whatever is provided by my host?

3. I am planning on creating a theme framework and then making a bunch of child themes on top of that framework. How do you handle theme upgrades with WPMu? For example, if ALL themes need to be upgraded to fix a bug or to accomodate a new version of WordPress, is there a way to make ALL the themes for ALL users' accounts upgrade together? What about their individual customizations?

Thanks again for your help!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

1. How does the multiple-domains work with WPMu? I'm assuming I can give each user his/her own CPanel account via my host and then set their home directory to a WPMu installation? Or is that not how it works?

No, that is definitely not how it works.

Ever use wordpress.COM? Sign up for a free blog there. they have a domain mapping option for $15/year. THAT is what you will be offering your clients.

2. How does email work with WPMu and multiple domains? Is the email whatever is provided by my host?

Yep, depends on your host or their DNS.

3. I am planning on creating a theme framework and then making a bunch of child themes on top of that framework. How do you handle theme upgrades with WPMu? For example, if ALL themes need to be upgraded to fix a bug or to accomodate a new version of WordPress, is there a way to make ALL the themes for ALL users' accounts upgrade together? What about their individual customizations?

Why create a new theme framework when there are so many great ones to choose from?

Users share themes on MU. So, you only have ONE copy of the themes. Frameworks, child themes, doesn't matter.

If the theme framework itself needs upgrading, you upgrade that one copy. Every blog using that theme or a child theme gets upgraded. that's kind of the point of child themes anyway....

I think you need to do some more homework and play around with an install.

5. visime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for clearing that up for me! One more question -- so all users share themes, does this mean users can't customize their themes via a theme options panel? I will be installing MU shortly.

I wanted to create my own framework because then I can do whatever I want to with it since I made it. I want to know it inside and out. But I will browse through some others as well.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

so all users share themes, does this mean users can't customize their themes via a theme options panel?

No, it means the code is shared among users. If the theme has an options panel, it is specific to that blog only, because those choices are saved in the database. not the code.

About this Topic