The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

[closed] MU removes code automatically from posts, pages & sidebar widget (37 posts)

1. GregM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey drmiketemp,

If you could possibly do us the favour of lowering the temperature for a moment or two, since this thread appears to have been hijacked and turned into a referendum on developers and moderation and personal attacks, I'd like to extend to you the courtesy of responding seriously to your latest post.

With regard to your 'trying to help me', please note that it was I who offered help to others; you subsequently interjected that it was inappropriate even to discuss the topic of kses.php stripping tags -- a topic which you may recall had been brought up by others and had gone largely unanswered, except for platitudes like "that's just how it is". Now, you announce that I've somehow ignored you and insulted you. I wonder how on Earth you would know what I have ignored or otherwise. As it happens, I was in direct personal communication with Donncha long before you told me to go away and talk to developers, and Donncha kindly stopped by my own blog where I had discussed the issue in some detail. So did I ignore you? Why would the answer to that question even matter to the subject at hand?

In any case, I'm one for sticking to actual facts and actual thread topics; I've personally experienced your contributions to this specific discussion topic to be low on actual facts and high on ad hominem attacks. Maybe we just see things differently. However, simply repeating over and over that other people are insulting you does not make it so. From your reports, you apparently feel repeatedly insulted -- not just by me, but by literally dozens upon dozens of other forum members both here and on the main WP forum. No doubt a couple of those people really did make it their job just to piss you off. I hope you'll consider at least the possibility, however, that most of them do not treat pissing off drmike as a main goal in their lives, or even as in any way whatsoever relevant to their lives.

Having been around here for the last 3 years -- emphatically without being an everyday poster -- I have seen a great deal go on in which you have been involved and in which many others have been involved. I've seen you give some great advice, and be really helpful. I value those contributions, and I think others do too. I think we would all benefit from constructive, helpful contributions; it seems to me that cross-debate and personal attacks, by contrast, do not serve anyone's interests, least of all those of the people making them.

I'm chilled and ready to focus on substance. How 'bout you?

All the best,
    Greg

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Why did I have the feeling you just wouldn't shut up?

3. copperblade
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for your investigation and code reference, blog247coza. Like so many other people, I also have a special circumstance for allowing javascript code, and really think this should be an option in the interface with heavy warnings.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Allowing users to put javascript in anything, warnings or not, is absolutely the most stupid idea ever conceived.

It's a safe bet that it will NEVER be an option.

What do you do? Make a plugin that accepts certain parameters, then renders the script for them.

Like a key code for a this or that, or select this or that from a list, then have the plugin itself build the output.

Anything beyond that... may the web gods have mercy on your site when it's hacked to bloody bits.

5. copperblade
    Posted 15 years ago #

You can't possibly think of a case where someone running MU might want to allow javascript in the sidebar? Not everyone is using MU for the same reason you are.

Anyway, warnings are fine, but stop telling us what we should or should not do with our sites. Some of us are experienced, and I can assure you I have many layers of security on my system and can handle adding my own javascript to an MU installation that's just for me.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Then if you ARE so experienced, this is a moot point, you are an exception to the rule, and know how to properly use the tools available within MU to make it sing and dance.

However, considering the average level of comprehension for people installing this, I'd take that bet straight to the bookies in Vegas that it'll never happen.

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

copperblade and anyone else - if you want to use Javascript, you use the "edit_allowedtags" and "edit_allowedposttags" filters to change the kses filter.

If someone wants to enable it and possibly hang themselves in the process they have the rope. Let them do it. Closing thread. This is ridiculous.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by blog247coza
  • Latest reply from donncha