The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spam blogs and user accounts (8 posts)

1. tobyadams
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a WPMU installation that keeps having spam bots signing up and creating blogs. Even with SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam installed and registrations disabled, they still get through to make accounts. I cannot see how on earth this is happening, does anyone have an idea as to why this is going on?

2. justmax
    Posted 14 years ago #

I found a solution to this problem just 30 min ago. I use the MultiDomain Plugin and when adding some domains I forgot to set the option Allow new registrations to "disable". Yesterday I noticed spam accounts on one of the blogs so I deleted them and ticked the Allow new registrations "disable" option only to find that new spam accounts were still created.

There is a really simple solution which I found here on worpdress. Others report that removing all spam accounts from the wp_signups table in the database will resolve the issue. There were a lot of accounts there that were not in the blog admin area so I deleted all of them 10 min ago. Now I just have to wait and see!

3. tobyadams
    Posted 14 years ago #

I cant see how that will resolve it, but I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks :-)

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Being able to register blogs while having registration turned off has come up a number of times previously. Whenever we suggest to folks that they need to look through their own server logs to see how they're doing it, we never hear back from them.

Have you looked through your server logs?

5. tobyadams
    Posted 14 years ago #

I wouldn't know where to look to be honest. Out hosting is with GoDaddy and their management panel... sucks. Detailed logs are not available as far as I am aware. Could you perhaps give me clue as to what I am looking for???

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Go to the back end of MU and disable the section where it says "allow users to add new users".

7. tobyadams
    Posted 14 years ago #

As far as I am aware, this has always been disabled. They are able to create new blogs and users.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is different than the setting to allow them to make new blogs.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by tobyadams
  • Latest reply from andrea_r