The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing WordPress MU on Shared Hosting on IIS7 (3 posts)

1. faffoo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi there,

I have three installations running fine on a shared hosting account. It is all working with URL Rewriting and everything like that.

I am wanting to set up a wordpress mu website on another domain.

When I upload the files that I downloaded from this site, I am taken to the installation page. When I fill in all the details, it takes me to the success page and tells me that it was set up successfully. I also get a warning about dns records for sub domain feature.

I followed the instructions for the dns record thing (adding a wildcard record - of type A - named * and going to my servers IP Address).

When I try and go to my site after installation, I get an IIS Password error. I then deleted the htaccess.dist and .htaccess file from my server and it works (with only a few CSS errors).

I then log in and as soon as anything changes in the database, ie changing the password or adding a new blog, I get a 500 error and then that error is shown on any page I try and access.

My questions to anyone who can help are:

• What does the htaccess.dist, .htaccess and web.config do for this installation
    • Why am I getting all of these errors and how can I fix them?
    • Is it even possible to have a wordpress mu install on a shared IIS hosting service?
    • Could you direct me to a tutorial to set this up?

All help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Faffoo

2. pacnorwest
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you create the domain name alias for the created blog?
    Your domain name alias should look something like mynewestblogger.mydomainame.com
    Don't create a sub-domain.

3. jamesparker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

I have installed WPMU on windows 2003 server and setup wildcard dns entry, used ISAPI rewrite lite...so far things are good and it works.

The problem comes when I create a blog that goes on blog1.domain.com which is created successfully but doesn't work indeed why because there is not server alias type settings in IIS.

Is there any way to get these virtual domains work without having Apache?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by faffoo
  • Latest reply from jamesparker