The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

One particular virtual mµ path has oddly become "corrupted" (2 posts)

1. lobsey
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello again.. I have mµ working beautifully where I can add blogs without a problem and going to domain.com/blogs/randomletters shows the wordpress-themed 404 page if there's not a blog in place. The problem is, I set up one called zzz, and domain.com/blogs/zzz was working fine until I decided to point a domain at that virtual folder (as a test).. ever since then, I get the ominous The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred. error when trying to go to the virtual folder.

Interestingly enough, when I renamed the "blogs" folder to "blogs2", going to domain.com/blogs/zzz yielded a normal 404 as expected. Renaming "blogs2" back to "blogs", the "internal server error" was back again. Again, though, all the other blogs set up still work fine, but it's as if IIS now has some sort of "stigma" towards domain.com/blogs/zzz specifically!

I am suspecting this has nothing to do with .htaccess or web.config and more something on the server-side that has noted/rendered this specific path (whether it's virtual or not) as now unusable. Since it's hosted with GoDaddy my ability to check server settings is limited, so I contacted their tech support -- which usually is relatively competent -- and told them my tale, but their response was laughably vague and obvious that they themselves didn't know how to diagnose this, as they said:

The error appears to be occurring due to the setup of the index.php file you've placed in the directory. This file is instructing your server to search for the folder "domain.com/blogs/zzz" which is causing an infinite loop in the system. You will need to correct your index.php file in order to resolve this issue.

The index.php file is mostly commented out except two lines:

define('WP_USE_THEMES', true);
    require('./wp-blog-header.php');

..them saying that index.php is the culprit makes no sense, but for giggles, I renamed it index2.php and, of course, it made no difference. I even went into the admin and deleted the "zzz" blog, but still, the virtual domain.com/blogs/zzz gives the error. My suspicion is my pointing that domain name over to that virtual directory somehow messed some setting somewhere up.. Not sure why what I did would permanently have made that path unusable...

So! My question is, what do you think is controlling this, and how can I (or they) "release" that virtual path to where it can be used again?

Any ideas would be most appreciated! ;)

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

- when you point a domain to your MU install, you; don;t point it to the virtual folder. you point it to the main MU site. Mu will do the blog lookup from there (you'll need the domain mapping plugin too)

- search your database for the /zzz/ blog. Likely it's still listed off in a table somewhere.

But I think it's more the first point than the second.

About this Topic