The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress MU as video feed site (6 posts)

1. lindsayanng
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just wanted to see if anyone has done this or seen this done with wordpress MU. It makes sense to me that it would work pretty well, so stop me if i'm wrong.

Here is the idea.

I am a web designer / developer (newbie though) and my friend is an audio guy (owns a recording studio) He got hired by a corporation to record the audio of their seminar. The clients then decided that they wanted to sell e-tickets to their seminar and have people view it online.

Since UStream and all the other services I found dont allow you to make events private and sell tickets to them, and I own a server with Red 5 installed, I can probably do this myself/

This is where i see wordpress MU as a possibility.

I create a new website called BSCWebinar.com.. The "client" comes to my website and signs up to have his webinar broadcast. When he creates his account he gets his subdomain which he chooses like this:
    company.bscwebinar.com

Then I get into their account and set up a main page which is a place for people to pay for their access. They pay $100 and then get access to a "members only" page where the video will be streaming.

Thats it. Seems simple, and it CAN be done with basic wordpress but i figured MU would allow quick account creation for the clients as well as management of their "users"

Does MU word this way? Does MU let the owners of sub domains manage their own users? Is there a plugin that lets owners of a sub domain blog set password protected, PAID pages?

Thanks for the help in advance - i hope this will work out well.

2. lindsayanng
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anyone with thoughts on this??

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, it's possible, but no, there' no plugin I can point you to that does exactly what you want out of the box. There will be some coding involved, mostly on the payment end.

Go look at wordpress.com. That's what you'll be giving your users (more or less).

4. lindsayanng
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks for your responses.. Is there a way to use the "regular" wordpress plugins in the wordpress MU blogs?

For instance, there are lots of wordpress plugins that let blog owners set blog areas as "premium content" and make the members pay for it. Unfortunately I dont know MU enough to know which plugins might be compatible with mu..

Here's some plugins i found
    http://www.memberwing.com/
    http://www.mindwiremedia.net/2009/01/23/isubscribe-wordpress-adaptable-paypal-membership-script/

I do some coding, i have built my own wordpress themes and stuff.. I might not be the best coder, btu I understand it.. So a little tweaking is fine for me, but because this is a lower paying job because of my lack of knowledge in MU, id like to start with plugins where i can/

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Toss 'em in the plugins folder and try them. Most of them should work.

6. lindsayanng
    Posted 14 years ago #

hmm this is pretty awesome. I actually found a paid plugin that seems perfect, and I dont mind paying for something that I would otherwise spend a lot of time developing or tweaking to make work.

If you're curious, the plugin is here

It basically does everything I want it to. clients can create their sub domain blog and then create a page and set that page to "premium content" and then require people register and pay to see it. EXACTLY what I needed.. WOO stinking HOO

Now only if i can get those damn video streaming "professionals" to give me some kind of a straight answer.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by lindsayanng
  • Latest reply from lindsayanng