The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress › Support » How-To and Troubleshooting slow loading pages and backe (11 posts)

1. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. More often then not my wordpress installation and all the subsites bog way down to a crawl. Sometimes it takes the pages up to 5 minutes to load. Other times the pages load lightning fast.

I've talked with my server and they tell me everything is fine on their end.

I recently added WP-Tuner to my plugins and activated it. I was able to catch a slow load and took a screenshot of the information that it provided.

http://faceforwardesthetics.com/files/2010/04/wp-tuner-large.jpg

I honestly have no idea what the information means and am hoping that someone can help me out so that I can get this issue resolved.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Courtney

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

With behavior like that, it almost always means a plugin.

In your case, the stuff at the top of the list is what the problem is. What domain mapping plugin are you using? Also, it's pulling a lot of queries from the options table. Either the DM plugin is doing that, or your theme is.

Not a fan of Artseer-generated themes. Too much messy non-standard code.

3. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello and thanks for the response!

I am using http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

is there a better one available? I'd shut it down to check it but don't want my customers to freak out!

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that Artisteer is the culprit for the simple fact that even without an Artisteer template enabled the backend is still super slow......and then it's fast.....and then it's slow.....and then it's fast :)

If there is another domain mapping plugin that I could try I surely would. I noticed that a lot of the highlighted areas of wp-tuner referenced the domain mapper.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Could be tweak needed to the plugin, could be a setting. I use my own. ;)

5. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks!

So is there a step by step of what I need to do or learn to get this resolved? This is really killing us :(

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

A step by step? No. It's pretty much basic troubleshooting when running a webserver & hosting others. :)

Fiddle with some of the domain mapping options, see if it helps.

Also, thsoe things are moot if you messed up the server config. I mean, yes, you can park each domain and it works. if you're parking 100 domains individually, congrats - you just found why it's so slow.

7. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks again for the info and time :)

What I did was

1. park each domain name at my registrar Godaddy.
    2. I then edit each of the domains total dns to point to my wpmu install.
    3. After that I open cpanel and add the domain in question.
    4. Then I go to the wpmu blog and add the domain name to the domain mapper plugin.

Is there an easier way to do this? This is the only way that I was shown.

Again thanks for your time :))))))

Courtney

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

How many domains are pointed at your main site?

yes, you did it correct. But like I stated, if you have a lot done this way, it will slow down the site. If you are planning hosting dozens & hunders of domain in one install, it is better to set up your server to have a wildcard named host.

This eliminates step 3 above.

9. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,
    How does the wildcard named host work and how do I set it up?

Thanks, your time and knowledge is invaluable :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

How does it work? It sends ANY request for ANY domain pointed at your server to your MU install.

How to set it up? You're gonna get dirty in Apache.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/name-based.html

11. selfmade64856
    Posted 13 years ago #

lol....I sent our chat to my host. Maybe they can set it up for me :) Thanks andrea_r

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by selfmade64856
  • Latest reply from selfmade64856