The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple corporate sites / multiple domains with Wordpress MU (10 posts)

1. jedw
    Posted 14 years ago #

I need some advice on if Wordpress MU is the right CMS for the following case:

- Multiple corporate sites on multiple domains (e.g. site1.com, site2.com, etc.)
    - One admin interface (one place to loging) to control the content on all these sites.
    - Create a one "feed" with news posts which display on multiple sites.

Is this possible WP MU or are there other Opensource systems which are more capable to do this job? I prefer WordPress because it has an easy to use interface and I have experience in building templates.

Thank you for your help! Best regards,

2. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, that's not really the focus of wpmu.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

- One admin interface (one place to loging) to control the content on all these sites.

This is really the bit that MU does not do. Each blog/site has its own backend.

4. jedw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Than what exactly does WP MU do? Do you know any good open source systems that does this?

5. ancawonka
    Posted 13 years ago #

Wait, I thought you COULD do this w/ WPMU - each site does have its own dashboard, but you only need to log in to it once to be able to manage the content on all the other sites.

Or is this feature not compatible with different domains? In the case I'm developing, we have one domain, with each area representing a different business function and using a different blog in WPMU to constrain who gets to edit.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

But you still have to visit a particular blog to post content to that blog.

Some people want to post to any blog of their choosing from one spot, as in log in to one Write panel and pick the blog from there that it will post to.

MU never did that.

7. ancawonka
    Posted 13 years ago #

Oh, I see... Yes, I can see how that could be useful - but what system does that? I'm not sure I've seen something like that.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The only think I know of is a desktop client for publishing.

9. john.a.wolfe
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have the same sort of problem, well exactly the same maybe.

I realize that WP doesn't just do this on its own but I would like to know if anyone has made WP do this.

Basically, I would have one 'authoring environment' which could then publish posts to 2 separate instances of WP. When a publisher hits the publish/update button the content then gets pushed or updated on one or both of the other environments, call them internal and external. I would like publishers to only have to publish ONCE. They would have to tag a piece of content (post or page) as internal, external, or both and then the process would be smart enough to know where to send it.

This seems like it could be done with some database magic, luckily we have a good DBA but I am wondering if there is a plugin that exists that does this already (I haven't seen one), or if someone has done this themselves in another fashion.

Hope that all makes sense. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks!

10. glerner
    Posted 13 years ago #

There is a Multipost MU plugin, that will "Allow a Wordpress MU site administrator to duplicate posts and pages to multiple sub-blogs at once.", http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multipost-mu/

About this Topic