The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1 2 3 4

Spam Karma 2 for WPMU (104 posts)

1. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have uploaded Spam Karma 2 for WPMU to WPMUDEV.

This was announced in another thread, but I wanted a new one for followup.

Please download and try it out (so far no problems). But if there are any little things that need to be fixed tell me here.

The aims of the release were to...

1. Allow no access to the control panel by users (it works fine without tweeks and its confusing to most people)
    2. Put it in mu-plugins
    3. Change it so you don't have to click into it to get it going. (ie: no "click here to setup SK2")
    4. Change all references to the Spam Karma pages to point to the standard wordpress spam moderation pages. (I need people who get real spam to check the email notices to see if those links work)
    5. Site-admin is the only one who has access to the Spam Karma pages

So far these have been noted

1. Many warnings of digest plugin problems: This is due to it being disabled and these warnings will only be visible to site-admin, they are nothing to worry about.
    2. The site MUST be viewed to initiate the plugin: If you load a site for the first time ever, check the source and you will see some output from the plugin that I commented out to make this work (it's in the head section of the page).
    3. It adds tables to every blog so your table count will increase.

One concern...

The original plugin has an about page that has a place to make a donation, but it is not viewable to anyone but site-admin. The plugin suits my purposes but I hate taking the about page away as it is such a geat plugin. Perhaps making sure the "X spams eaten" has a link to the authors site or his donation page ("X spams eaten" is disabled by default)?

Thanks

2. Maedi
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I quicky make a post. I receive the following error on a blank page. I am still able to enter my comment though.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/wpmu-sk2/sk2_second_chance.php:2) in /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 316

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/wpmu-sk2/sk2_second_chance.php:2) in /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 317

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/wpmu-sk2/sk2_second_chance.php:2) in /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 318

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/wpmu-sk2/sk2_second_chance.php:2) in /home/sourdoug/public_html/wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/wp-hashcash.php on line 29
    Thank you. Your comment has been approved.

3. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Please provide a link where I can view this happening so I can track down the problem.

Thanks for trying it out Maedi

4. Maedi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I could not re-create the problem. I was on the default WP theme when the issue occured and have since changed themes.

Would the default WP Theme have caused this issue?

5. akorelc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, pumpkinslayer:

I'm trying out the Spam Karma plugin, as well. All seemed well until I ran the compatibility test. I added the do_action hook to comments.php, re-ran the test.

comments-popup.php still has the problem, after adding in the do_action to it.

Theme used: blueberry-boat(tp) [from most current theme pack]

error msg:

File comments-popup.php: Could not find do_action hook. Some plugins will fail. Please refer to SK2's documentation.

However, I found this line in that file:

<?php do_action('comment_form', $post->ID); ?>

Any idea what's wrong?

TIA

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm, strange. Blueberry boat checks out fine for me when I run the check.

Using Blueberry Boat version 1.5. I remember some issues with the footer as well.

7. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

akorelc: Please provide a link so I can check it out, thanks.

8. akorelc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, pumpkinslayer:

I would dearly love to provide you a link; however, as it is in a test environment for my company, I cannot. sorry.

Is there any other way to try to figure this out?

Also, re-reading my original question, it implies the do_action hook is in the comments-popup.php 2X. Admittedly, at first, it was; but, I removed the one I added in, after finding that action was already in the script (just had to look a little further down).

TIA

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

akorelc, did you go look and see how the footer looked with your theme before tinkering with it?
    I ask because a few times, the compatibility check came up with something, but upon actually looking a tthe footer with the theme, it was easier to add something to my styelsheet to deal with it (usually a clear:both).

And you could consider just not having the SK2 footer show up.

10. akorelc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello, andrea_r: sorry for the delayed reply; please don't think I'm ignoring you. The SK2 footer doesn't show up; I guess that's a good thing, and perhaps it is because I didn't select this option:

Automatically insert SK2's 'X spam eaten' message in your blog's footer (enable Advanced Options to customize it).

Anyway, I won't be able to tell if there's really a problem, until I turn a tester loose.

Thanks, though! I'll let you know if I figure out how to make that error message take a hike. :)

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Also, I just managed to find the time to switch from the regular SK2 plugin to the MU one. Seems to work okay so far.

12. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

akorelc: I changed the default so that the message doesn't get used by default.

You'll need to adjust the default settings to change it back.

andrea_r: Great! Let me know if anything needs adjusting.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The only thing I noticed so far was it caught a previously approved comment that I had to go in and rescue. I had issues with SK2 spewing errors when it ran the captcha (and still functioning) but I haven't tried it with this yet. I hope it fixes that.

14. MrCrimson
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been attempting to get the modified SK2 to work on my WPMU install, but I think I may have found a small glitch.

It appears that it does not work well with WPMU implementations using the folder method instead of the subdomain method, reason being all of the SK2 options redirect back to the front page blog since the links do not reflect the subfolder for the indicated blog.

Other than this issue, it seems like it should work.

Any ideas?

15. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've tried installing this modified plugin in my test environment. The plugin seems to work fine for the main blog, however the blog-specific tables are not created for the other blogs, even after visiting it or entering the admin. any idea of what i'm doing wrong ? Or did i not understand well and are all spam tracked in the same set of 3 tables ?

16. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

MrCrimson: Hmm, I really have no idea, the SK2 for wpmu was a hack and I did the minimum modifications. Sorry, no ideas

quenting: There should be tables for each blog, only the blacklist shares a table for all blogs. Are you using subfolders for your blogs, MrCrimson says it doesn't work well that way.

After using it for a while I have the following to note, which I have learnt along the way...

SK2 replaces the default system built into WP. My assumption that I could use the regular wordpress pages were wrong, there needs to be some toned down menu for users or something of the like. Basically a menu for users and the standard one for admin

Secondly, the logs are very big, they only get flushed on viewing the SK2 admin screen, which only admin can do. The logs also get very fill because of the way I disabled the daily email report which issues warnings into the logs regularly, I think I need to use an alternative way to disable it.

That's my update. I won't be able to make any updates for a few weeks, but I'll report back when I do.

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

After using it for a while I have similar suggestions:

- recovery menu for users, so they can retrieve accidentally snagged comments

- flush them logs :) The default was 30 days, it could be lowered to 7.

I like how it stopped sending those emails too. I also modded mine to make the inserted footer have a transparent background instead of the unsightly grey.

18. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm using subdomains, so that's not the problem.
    I've done some more testing, and there are strange things happenning: sometimes the sk2 tables get created for some blogs, and not for others.
    Could this be related to the different themes being used ? I remember seeing something about themes being compatible or not with sk2.

19. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

also the footer doesn't appear for every one (maybe that's on purpose or a consequence of the admin-only options editing).

20. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

nevermind, i'm a d*mb*ss. The problem was that I had tried using sk2 previously with the default version, it had created some options and these options existing resulted in the tables not being created.

21. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm almost ready to push this to my live users DB.
    I've removed logging to database tables and replaced it with logging to a file, which i might just disable after a while. Logs are very big in SK2 and not that useful.

I have some questions remaining though after experiencing with it for a while:
    What happens to the default wordpress settings once SK2 is in place.
    For instance in options the user can decide to moderate each comment, but this seems disregarded once SK2 is in place (if the comment is approved by SK2, it doesn't go to the moderation queue).
    Are all vanilla wordpress moderation/spam filtering/comments options just replaced by SK2 ?

Also, if I flag a comment as spam in the regular comments interface, does SK2 benefit from it / add it to its blacklist etc. ?

22. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found out that SK2 completely overrides the built-in comment moderation. It just puts them in the comments lists when they are approved. It ignores vanilla settings.

It is completely seperate. You would most likely need to remove the standard moderation menus and use SK2 ones (modified most likely).

23. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

We also foudn out the bloated log file problem. The digest was disabled, and the log kept noting this with an errors message each time something ran, resulting in HUGE chunks of data in the table. I took out the pjhw daily digest plugin from / wpmu-sk2 / sk2_plugins / and that helped tremendously.

Also, SK2 does ignore moderation settings, but there's another add-on plugin for it that will force it to mod. (If I can just remember what it was called and where it is. Need more caffiene.)

24. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

sk2-moderate plugin :
    http://blog.ftwr.co.uk/wordpress/sk2-moderate-plugin/

allows for sk2 to run and still take into account "regular" settings. Captcha second chance must be disabled though.

25. westi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Glad to see you mu guys are using SK2 and some of my sk2 plugins.

What are the issues you are having with the digest plugin - I can't quite work it out from the stuff above.

26. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The person who modified it for MU (mostly so only site admin sees the backend) also disabled the sending of the digest. This caused a message to be written to the log which was basically a "hey, it didn't send the digest!"

27. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think the way in which I disabled it was probably not the right way, so just as andrea_r said, it keeps putting hundreds of messages into the logs.

I'm not sure if the sk2-moderate-plugin gives any functionality back to the standard moderation area in wordpress. It just takes into account the options, but all of the moderating is still taken over by sk2.

andrea_r:
    Did those log messages completely disappear by just taking out the plugin file for the daily digest?

28. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep.

Not the old ones - they still had to be purged, but it stopped generating them.

29. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I also removed the digest plugin.

some other changes i made to the plugin given in first thread:
    - log to file instead of tables (to have a single log file). This way you're not creating tons of useless tables when you have tons if users.
    - make all blogs use the admin settings (the current version of the plugin only displays the settings for the admin, but the blogs keep using their own settings, which means keep using the default values, which means if some day you want to change a setting you're in trouble).
    - make a "moderation and spam" tab in the users admin corresponding to the "recent spam harvest" one in the default SK2 (and remove the default awaiting moderation page). If i remember correctly, in the plugin given by the thread author, users can't access this page and therefore can't re-validate false positives.
    - make the "mark as spam" links in edit.php and edit-comments.php use the SK2 spam system.
    - installed the above mentionned sk2-moderate plugin, which works well. I only tweaked it, actually i tweaked the captcha plugin so that only when one of the 2 incriminated options is checked, the captcha second chance is disabled, otherwise it's enabled.

I won't release any of those changes, because many are personal choices, others aren't plugin but core code modifications and therefore should only be made by people knowing what they're doing, and finally others are changes to a specific sk2 plugin or the other, and not the sk2 code. However if someone wants help on any of these topics feel free to ask and I can give directions.

The only problems I have left now (that i can see) are the following two:
    - I'd like comments entered prior to sk2 installation on each blog to be run through the filters. Currently this needs the user action to go to its spam page and manually click the "run filter", and/or to flag each comment manually.
    - It seems that if the blog isn't visited before the admin, the sk2_spams table isn't created, which leads to problems when displaying the comment moderation page. Maybe the action hook used could be one that works for both admin and blog ?

30. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

quneting, I would totally be interested in pretty much all the changes you made. Especially the one log file. :) And havign the user able to validate false positive woudl solve a great headache for me.

I know, I could probably figure it out eventually, but I'm way crunched for time lately. :(

1 2 3 4

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by pumpkinslayer
  • Latest reply from lunabyte