The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Navigating Blogs a la blogpsot.com (14 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is there is a way ot navigate blogs by having a header in each blog that shows "Next Blog" + "Previous Blog" in the top?

Would this be done via an iframe or would it be done via template editting? Thanks.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

They do it over at Wp.com. We talked about it here.

3. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

i know that samson had it setup on his asu bloggers homepage. Is there any way you'd be willing to share the code samson?

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Why not contact them directly.

5. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

you know i tried to find his contact on there but was unable to find it anywhere. I did manage to download their random.php file, which is what gets triggered when one clicks "Next Blog" from their navigation bar.

I checked out that file and it seems to have a lot of "asu-only" content on there. I thought I'd give a shout out in the forums if he was still around, but alternatively, I can post their random.php file on my server if anyone would like to give it a gander?

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, I hope you're not able to pull up their random.php file. That would be a security risk on their part. Sort of like being able to pull up their password and/or config.php file.

7. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol..actually it was as easy as pointing my download manager to the file on their servers...and voila!

8. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would much appreciate if you could summarise what you did to make this work :)

Thanks, Martin.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

We talked about a method earlier. I provided a link in the second post in this thread but we never got out of the theory of such a device.

10. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's a shame. I'm surprised this isn't a more requested feature to be honest. Part of the idea with MU is to create a community of bloggers. It'd be nice to have more than a figurative .yourdomain.com way of linking one blogger to the next. Ah well..

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed and I would welcome the feature but some of use are a bit behind on other things. :(

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is there a standard mechanism to help navigate from subblog.example.com to example.com?

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

unfortunately not mrjcleaver. If there was I would have tried to write it into the admin bar myself. My understanding is the people that have gotten it to work have been forwarding the "next" button link to a random.php style file which then sends the user to any old random blog.

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wouldn't it be the same method we do the www redirect in the htaccess file currently?

About this Topic