The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Access Denied to FLV Flash Videos (7 posts)

1. annabelt
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello, I have been trying to embed FLV and AVI files in blog posts with Wordpress MU. I've used the standard Wordpress function for uploading files and Viper Video Tags inserting them into posts (or the standard embed function, which inserts them as a link), but when I try to play them it says Access denied / file not found, and when I try to embed them as links, the links can't find them either. However, the same functions work with JPG image files.

I am also able to embed and play the same FLV files if I upload them to a different account with the same web host and embed them with that URL. The AVI files don't work from anywhere, but is there something I can do to make the FLV files work?

I've contacted my web hosts and they say it sounds like a problem with the WPMU uploader. But I've tried FTPing the files to the same directory with the same results. Can anyone suggest a fix for this please?

2. lindsayanng
    Posted 13 years ago #

it could be a file permissions issue.

3. annabelt
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi, Thanks for answering. I've just tried changing file permissions to 777, but even then the browser couldn't find the file from the link inserted into the post.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Please provide an example link of such a post where you;re getting a broken link.

Embeds, javascripts, objects and forms are stripped though from most content as it;s a security risk. FLV are also not in the default allowed upload file types as well. You can review that list at Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Options I believe although I wouldn;t add them to the allowed list.

If you search the forums for youtube embed, you should see some discussion on this topic with suggested plugins.

5. annabelt
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi thanks for answering. I've made a test page here, first with a link and then with the video embedded using the FLV button in Viper Video Tags. Neither of them can find/access the file.
    I am able to get Youtube videos embedded on the same site, so it seems to be a URL problem, but on the other hand the same process does work for JPGs

6. annabelt
    Posted 13 years ago #

Sorry thought I had posted the URL for the test site (removed now)

7. annabelt
    Posted 13 years ago #

Just tried it with a smaller file and it works for that

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by annabelt
  • Latest reply from annabelt