The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Registration has been disabled (5 posts)

1. jfmxl
    Posted 13 years ago #

I just downloaded and installed wpmu and the installation program said success and sent me to login as admin. But when I go there I see

Registration has been disabled.

Since this is the first message I got from the site I'm baffled.

This is the third install. The first time I didn't like the domain name it chose : ws3.mueangchiangrai.net. And I hadn't done made an entry for any and all hosts in dns. So I made the dns entry, deleted the wpmu directory, untar'd again, and reinstalled. It seemed to work, but the admin password it gave me didn't. And there was no mail forthcoming with a new password.

So I tried again. I deleted all wp- database tables this time and removed the wpmu directory and began again. As I say everything seemed ok... but it's not.

Could I have missed some remnant of the first or second installation? I googled for "Registration has been disabled." but didn't find anything installation related.

Sorry, didn't see the version button : 2.9.2

2. jfmxl
    Posted 13 years ago #

My guess is that everything is normal, except that my isp here at home won't allow my local sendmail to send mail, so I cannot get the passwords of the accounts I create.

I looked in wp-includes/class-phpass.php, found the class that hashes passwords and made a page that returns a hashed password and resorted my own that way. I have access to the sql server on my home machine.

Yes, it makes sense that "Registration has been disabled" on a new server. My problem was that was the one and only screen I saw on startup and until I "brushed against" my domain name and got to the "real" homepage I hadn't a clue.

So I continue to experiment...

3. jfmxl
    Posted 13 years ago #

recent posts, Hello World - 404
    pages, about - 404
    archives, may 2020 - 404

Everything there is to click on gives a 404. When I try to edit the Hello World page it comes up... but viewing it gives a 404, preview changes gives a 404, update "does something"... but nothing with an observable difference to the outside world.

I'm typing away here... does anyone see this beside myself?

This seemed too good to be true... apparently it was.

4. jfmxl
    Posted 13 years ago #

Reviewing themes at appearance => add new themes

Preview on any theme produces a blank, white page.

Attempting to install a theme produces a prompt for

hostname
    username
    password
    connection type

I have no idea what those are! How can I know where the thme is coming from, a username on that machine. and that user's password?

What is going on here?

I think I have a very broken wpmu installation... but I've already tried to reinstall it twice.

Am I really talking to myself here?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Required reading: http://wpmututorials.com

But when I go there I see

Registration has been disabled.

Then it sent you to the signup page for some reason. Considering you can't get to any other pages, I'm going to guess the following:

- mod_rewrite isn't enabled
    - the .htacess file is missing or not being read

Preview on any theme produces a blank, white page.

Blank white pages means there's an error. Find your error logs on the server and start reading. Here in the forums we've covered this a lot.

Attempting to install a theme produces a prompt for

hostname
    username
    password
    connection type

I have no idea what those are! How can I know where the thme is coming from, a username on that machine. and that user's password?

this is the standard WordPress installer. It's asking for YOUR domain name, YOUR ftp username & password, so it can go get theme from the official repo & install them on YOUR site. It needs permission & access. that's why it asks for these things.

Am I really talking to myself here?

We're all volunteers here, and at the time of your posting, I was very much asleep in the dark. :)

About this Topic