The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomain Mapping on 3.0 (19 posts)

1. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

We've got a test install of WPMU 3.0 at cloudcarbon.com, with some test subdomains that we are planning on transferring to a WPMU community. Keeping it up to the minute every day or so with svn.

With only a couple of IP addresses to hand using CNAME and the Domain Mapping tool to map mapmonkey.co.uk (on 123-reg.co.uk) to maps.cloudcarbon.com on our dedicated server.

www CNAME maps.cloudcarbon.com.

PROBLEM: mapmonkey.co.uk resolves to a plesk default page

the subdomains, e.g. maps.cloudcarbon.com work fine

It is a Plesk installation and the vhost conf file:

<VirtualHost 89.16.161.220:80>
    ServerName cloudcarbon.com:80
    ServerAlias *.cloudcarbon.com
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ServerAdmin ""
    DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/cloudcarbon.com/httpdocs
    CustomLog /var/www/vhosts/cloudcarbon.com/statistics/logs/access_log plesklog
    ErrorLog /var/www/vhosts/cloudcarbon.com/statistics/logs/error_log
    <IfModule mod_userdir.c>

(Another problem is that if any operation is performed on vhost file via Plesk (updates, DNS modification), and the *.cloudcarbon.com reverts to www)

We've played with various CNAME combinations and finding it hard to figure out what might be wrong.

Anyone like to point out what is so obviously wrong that we are missing it or to do to troubleshoot?

Many thanks

Philip

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

"We've got a test install of WPMU 3.0 "

It's WordPress 3.0. MU will no longer exists after this. You can say you're running 3.0 with the network or multi-site enabled.

So, to cut through the technical jargon, you're trying to domain map a sub-blog?

www CNAME maps.cloudcarbon.com.

This is your problem. Do not map the domain to the sub-blog. Map it to the main installation or the IP address.

WordPress will handle it from there.

(Another problem is that if any operation is performed on vhost file via Plesk (updates, DNS modification), and the *.cloudcarbon.com reverts to www)

you'll have to get your host to fix that.

3. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

Oh, I see - I'll try that now & report back.

Thanks

Philip

4. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

ok, it is now set to

www CNAME http://www.cloudcarbon.com.

but overnight

www CNAME cloudcarbon.com.

didn't work either.

is there another problem?

thanks

philip

5. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

Now, that first CNAME doesn't really include the http:// - which obviously wouldn't work, added by wordpress forums!

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Are you sure it's resolved?

7. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

well not entirely, but it usually is pretty quick (a few hours is usually enough and 12 hours plenty).

i'll leave it some more and get back if it's still not showing.

8. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

Probably has resolved, as http://mapmonkey.co.uk/ now gives a server not found rather than the usual plesk page (www cnamed to http://www.cloudcarbonetc)

9. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Well, not sure exactly what's going on, as this sort of thing is usually server-side, and I can;t see what you do.

i have some points though:

"We've got a test install of WPMU 3.0 at cloudcarbon.com, with some test subdomains that we are planning on transferring to a WPMU community."

You do realize that WPMU is merging in 3.0 and will cease to be updated?

Also, please read:
    http://wpwebhost.com/using-multiple-domains-with-wordpress-mu/

Other than terminology and you're using 3.0, the process is *exaclty* the same.

10. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hey thanks Andrea for your advice. I've followed the steps and reinstalled everything twice, before coming here.

What do you suggest?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Okay, a re-read. Why are you using a CNAME and not an A record?

At the domain registrar, make an A record for mapmonkey.co.uk to 89.16.161.220.

.... and in double-checking I just found your problem.....

When I type in your IP, it shows the plesk page, not your MU install at cloudcarbon.com.

Fix it so it does.

12. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

Good question.

Because it's a shared IP and I thought there was no other option under the circumstances but to use CNAME ...

So the IP points correctly to a holding page, methinks?

13. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

btw Are there any advantages to having a dedicated IP for a multisite?

14. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yes, a dedicated IP makes it simpler. But it's not impossible to do on a shared IP.

like I said above, if the MU installation answers to the IP address, it works.

Also, what are you doing on the webhost end to tell it that the mapmonkey.co.uk domain goes to cloudcarbon.com?

I think you've completely missed this step, which would explain why it didn't work.

15. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

at the domain host end (where mapmonkey.co.uk is registered) I simply

www cname to cloudcarbon.com.

at my server end

serveralias *.cloudcarbon.com (& reboot apache)

in the plugin maps.cloudcarbon.com has mapmonkey.co.uk added as a new domain

feels tantalisingly close, but you saying there is more to do?

16. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

i've also added a @ cname cloudcarbon.com. to see if that makes a difference

17. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

getting a dedicated IP

18. ecomonkey
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello, hello - I have just discovered that you can assign a shared IP to default domain, which now makes everything work as it should.

To recap and help anyone else who might be confused:

To use domain mapping with a shared IP, make sure that the IP is first assigned to your main default domain (ie your main blog/site).

At this point my only question would be, does this have any unintended consequences for the other hosted domains (SEO-related perhaps)?

Finally, a big thank you to Andrea for patiently holding my hand.

Philip

19. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

does this have any unintended consequences for the other hosted domains (SEO-related perhaps)?

Only if you're doing heavy interlinking between them.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by ecomonkey
  • Latest reply from andrea_r