The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

User redirects to different blog if access permissions not correct (4 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'm running WPMU 2.8.6. If a user tries to login to a site that they don't have permission to login to, then for some reason, WPMU auto redirects them to the first site that they do have access permissions for and presents them with an identical login screen.

So they're taken away from the URL that they thought they had access to, but its not clear to them that this is what has happened.

Reading other posts, this does appear to be default behaviour, but surely the most useful outcome would be for an error to be returned saying you don't have permissions to access this site?

Could someone confirm that its not just me going mad and does anyone know of a solution?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

You're correct, this is default behaviour. When users log in, they will always be directed to their primary blog.

But once logged in to the system, it shoudl tell them they don't have permissions if they try to access a blog they don't have permissions on.

3. mrarrow
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r.

Is this very useful behaviour for the end user though? If they think they've got access to one site, but they haven't, then surely it should simply return an error saying you do not have access to this site, rather than redirecting them elsewhere...

I'm wondering if there's any workaround - do you know of anything? I've come across quite a few threads with what appeared to be similar observations, but no satisfactory solutions yet...

As always, many thanks!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

For most thing like this, I go with the "train the user" approach.

Login HERE, go post HERE, and have the correct links where you want them to go.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by mrarrow
  • Latest reply from andrea_r