The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moving from 2.9.2 to MU 2.9.2 (6 posts)

1. dustinwo
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have WordPress 2.9.2 installed, but I want WordPress MU 2.9.2. Is that a totally separate install, or is there a way from inside WordPress 2.9.2 to "turn it into" MU 2.9.2?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

WPMU is a completely separate installation.

If you want smooth & easy, wait a month for 3.0, then you can just enable the network.

3. dustinwo
    Posted 13 years ago #

Will I be able to upgrade to 3.0 from within 2.9.2? By clicking "Upgrade to newest version now" on the dashboard, or whatever the phrasing is?

Thanks for your help!

K

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yes, that's how the upgrade button works. ;) It keeps checking for a new version, and when it's out it will let you know.

Then, you'll be able to turn on the mu part like this:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

I know it's waiting, but unless you want to tear apart your current WordPress site, this is your best bet.

5. dustinwo
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks. Big help. Wasn't sure if 3.0 was going to be a brand new install. So, just want to be clear...It will work to have wp 3.0 installed on my server here:

http://www.arouseonline.com/wp

And then run blogs out of that install on these urls that are all on the same server at equal level to arouseonline.com:

benschrager.com
    thehouseof.org
    inversetheater.org

While at the same time arouseonline.com is not a wordpress site?

?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

This is different that what you originally aksed. :)

To get the other domains, you have to use the domain mapping plugin, you don;t set the domain up when you make the extra sites. Becasue your install in in the /wp/ you'd have the /wp/ folder also show up on all the other domains.

Pick one of your other domains. install WPMU or 3.0 on that domain. NOT in a /wp/ folder.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by dustinwo
  • Latest reply from andrea_r