The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Public or Private Blogs Question (15 posts)

1. agotoguy1
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi all. I've been working on a WordPress MU install and have things running pretty good. I've been able to work out a lot of the bugs by searching the forums here. Thanks to the new search feature.

I'm having a bit of an issue that maybe some others experience. When a user signs up they are asked to choose whether or not they want their blog to appear in search engines Like Google or Technorati.

If a user chooses not to have their blog "public" and instead chooses "private", then options for them to add ping servers under their admin "option" "writing" section are removed.

Question is what if they want to get them back? How do they do this? There is no setting for them to change from a private to a public blog once the blog has been created.

Is there a way to change the setting? Even if it means editing some of the DB or code?

2. agotoguy1
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone? Anyone? LOL

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Have you looked in the database? :)

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I see the option at Dashboard -> Options -> General -> Search Engines.

5. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

copy options-privacy.php from trac.wordpress.org into your wp-admin/ folder.
    add these into options-privacy.php

<input id="blog-private" type="radio" name="blog_public" value="-1" />
    <label for="blog-private">I would like my blog to be visible only to registered users</label>

after:

<input id="blog-norobots" type="radio" name="blog_public" value="0" />
    <label for="blog-norobots">I would like to block search engines, but allow normal folks</label>

Second download and modify this plugin Angsuman’s Authenticated WordPress Plugin

When user selected Private in Options->Privacy then the visitor will see this Login request
    but admin still can login.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Way cool mod there, mypatricks. :)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Silly dumb question. What do we need to modify in the plugin?

The link to options-privacy.php should show up in the submenu automatically, right? Because WPMU is looking for all files within wp-admin with a name starting with options-.

edit: Appears you have to edit wp-admin/menu.php and remove the '//' marks in front of the link linking to options-privacy.php. :)

8. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

Currently MU don't have private blog features and file options-privacy.php has been removed so we need to copy new file. :)

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I understand that since I noted it in your previous post and mention how to turn on the admin link in mine.

My question though was what within the plugin file do we have to modify? I'm assuming from looking at bloggles.info that it's just a matter of taste but from your original post, you didn't give any specifics so I wanted to make sure.

Wouldn't this plugin though just make folks register with your WPMU install though and not allow only subscribers to that specific blog in?

10. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

if new user register blog as private. the default radio button is on public. Options -> Privacy (WPMU v1.0)

--- thanks i found the solution to show all Active Blogs (public/private)

11. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

here are solution to setup private blog, leave your comment to improve. thanks.
    Setup Private Blog on Wordpress MU

12. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

mypatricks, I write a comment to your private blog, but no display. is it detected msg to Spam? wonder how no any comments on there.

anyway. thats nice plugin, thank you.

13. parakeet
    Posted 17 years ago #

So does this solution still hold true for the latest version, or is it built-in in some way?

I see another solution at http://patrick.bloggles.info/2006/09/16/setup-private-blog-on-wordpress-mu/#comment-4289

And another calling in this WordPress plugin - http://mu.bloggles.info/2006/08/19/private-blog/

Thanks

14. jeffstack
    Posted 16 years ago #

In the most recent version of Wordpress MU the option-privacy.php and wp-admin.css are already there and do not need to be uploaded.

Is there a way to set all new registrations to a certain privacy class? Say have the default being "I would like my blog to be visible only to registered users".

Thanks for the great plugin.

15. amnesiak
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm sorry if this hasn't been asked however, is there a way to allow the user to choose who can view it?
    So users can be placed on an 'allow' list rather than just sign up?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by agotoguy1
  • Latest reply from amnesiak