The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

how to create freshly pressed (7 posts)

1. famous
    Posted 13 years ago #

how do i create fresh pressed like wordpress.com? I am using the widgets but cannot get the images to show up?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Just to clarify, what specific widgets are you using? (A quick google pulls up the announcement thread but no mention of any widgets for this) Also can you provide a url of where you;re trying to do this so we can see what's occurring?

Gotta admit I'd just do it manually. From reading the announcement, sounds like they are as well.

3. famous
    Posted 13 years ago #

@tdjcbe I tried using RSS and Recent post widgets, however neither one actually show pictures in the posts? I have been looking all over, and cannot find out how to do this? I am kinda shocked that this is not already implemented in muWordpress as a widgets normal functionality.

Does anyone know how to show a pic in RSS widget or Recent post Widget?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am kinda shocked that this is not already implemented in muWordpress as a widgets normal functionality.

Then pick a widget or plugin that shows the post thumbnails. I do know there are some out there. This is also assuming the posts you;re pulling actually have images in them.

Please remember that the front page of wordpress.com is custom coded by them. You aren't going to get all the bells and whistles out of the box.

5. famous
    Posted 13 years ago #

@andrea_r thanks for the feedback. I tried finding a widget or plugin and went through 5 different ones without luck. It's pathetic, but I wasted most of my Saturday trying to make this work.
    Does anyone out there know how to add images (regular size and thumbnails) to RSS feed widgets? I am using the widgets, but cannot get what seems so simple to happen... Post a pic with the RSS widget output?

Help! Thanks

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thumbnails don't come through rss usually.

7. gazouteast
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thumbnails or whatever other images are in the post will come through if you use wp-o-matic - but then you have the problem that it posts to posts, not to a widget.

A fudge would be to have a non visible category somehow, that was fed by wp-o-matic, and the feed for that category then fed the widget, but you'd have to heavily hack the widget's internal css to control the image sizes.

As a plugin, it's old now and not maintained for a long time, but I have wp-o-matic working on several WP 2.9.2 sites, though not as I've just described (I'm actually using it to post draft posts and then using them as a sort of RSS reader - LOL - which is not what it was designed for at all).

KB Advanced RSS widgets is another one the OP could look at, but it's complex and the author makes no bones about that.

Gaz

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by famous
  • Latest reply from gazouteast