The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Bizzare Get Author Profile problem (9 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm having a very strange issue, where if I put in the code < ? php bloginfo('description'); ? > (without the spaces of course) into some of my blog themes, I get the author profile description in the sidebar, but on another theme I'm trying to put it in the header and nothing is showing up.

I use the exact same code, cut copy and pasted from the original site where it was working, but it's still a no go. At this point I'm curious as to whether there could be any required information that loads by the time the sidebar.php file loads, but not by the time the header.php file loads? I'm a little in the woods here so any tips in the right direction would be much appreciated.

For those wishing to see it working on a page visit farah.hadithuna.com, for those wishing to see where it is broken visit home.hadithuna.com

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's really odd, because the tag you're using spits out the tagline of your blog - not the author info.

in the sidebar of the one that works, what is in the template right under the search box?

3. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

sorry andrea, i meant this one isn't working:

< ? php the_author_description(); ? >

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Because you have to use it in The Loop. :)
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/the_author_description

It's meant for an author blurb at the end of a post, not for the sidebar.

If you want that for the sidebar, eargate did whip up a quick Author Description widget here:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=961&replies=22

5. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

but andrea, in the first blog i referenced (farah.hadithuna.com) the code is working in the sidebar.php file with no worries. I wasn't using the plugin from eargate as that theme isn't widgetized.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know.. that does make it wierd though. It might have worked because it was in an odd spot in the template, and that template was made for an older version of WP, so at this point it could be anything.

(oh, and HI! from NB.)

7. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

(What's NB?)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

(New Brunswick - Canada. :) One of those blogs listed above was in Toronto. )

9. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

New Brunswick...nice. Funny because over here I would have seen it a reference to NeBraska :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from suleiman