The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Writting a FAQ (20 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Greets:

Well since I have Wiki access on the trac, I guess I could start writting up a FAQ for WPMU.

Since most of you have been here longer than I have, anyone have any suggestions on what to include?

Thanks,
    -drmike

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

- how to install, with "NOT LIKE WP" in large letters. (and RTFM)
    - setting up virtual hosts
    - differences between WP and MU
    - glossary maybe
    - an overview of how it works for less technically inclined people
    - common management tasks

Just suggestions, need a hand lemme know.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've got someone also doing some serious bugging for me to help out with the WP codex currently as well.

- VHosts for CPanel/WHM, Direct Admin, Ensim, and Plesk installs.
    - WPMU plugins that are available (with a link to WPMUdev.org or other sites where they are located)

4. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Commonly installed plugins, would be nice :)

I guess I keep replying here as I think of new things? Why not just grant access to the wiki?

Or put everything in codex?

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Commonly installed plugins. Widgets as well. :)

Will all due respect, I've been banging away at the WP.com support forums for about eight months now.

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd certainly agree you are very knowledgeable :)

Here's another question: how do I keep plugins up to date?

Is there a way I can automatically take the latest stable version from SVN?

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Reading the http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins/WordPress_Widgets page it seems that not all themes support widgets, yet the widgets plugin is pretty core.

Perhaps it would be useful to state this in the FAQ?

8. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually I started both of those threads so I knew that they were there. :)

Actually the widgets are fairly new. I believe the widgets were developed specifically for the WPMU platform since they came out first over at WP.com and then as a plugin for regular WP and WPMU.

It's only been a few months so most themes still don't support widgets. And sometimes getting theme designers to fix issues with their themes is like pulling teeth.

10. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd add the phrase "plugins installed into the mu-plugins so it is enabled sitewide, those in plugins are enabled on a per-site basis."

11. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

- Tickets and how/when to use over forums
    - Where the search link for the forums is

umm.. will think of more later :p

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

how about "how to install a plugin that can only be used by an admin"?

13. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about "how to see which plugins installed in mu-plugins, and which are in plugins"?

14. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

You know what mrjcleaver, i tend to side on you with the whole "mu-plugins or plugins" folder issue. I know that for some plugins its obvious, for others it can go either way depending on the functionality you want available to the blogger, and in some cases still it could work in the mu-plugins folder but only after certain modifications are made, but to me all this would be so much nicer in a clearly visible wiki for everyone to go read and get their quick "snapshot info" than having to scour the mu forums, plugin readmes, and countless minutes spent fiddling around with all of the above.

Just put it in one easy to access space.

I also would suggest some plugin "quicktips" that could help a lot of users. A possible suggestion could include:

1) wherever a reference is made to rss-functions.php, change to rss.php and retest plugin, it might just work! (this one saved me mucho times)

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

how to see which plugins installed in mu-plugins, and which are in plugins

Not trying to sound rude or anything but how about opening up the subdirectory and taking a looksee? :)

The way I work in out in my mind is that the mu-plugin subdirectory is for those plugins that you want to have turned on for everybody. (ie video, the base widgets plugin, spam protection, etc.) The plugin subdirectory, if you use it, is for those that you want to have your users decide if they want to turn them on if they want. (ie the forum plugin we talked about a few days ago)

Individual widgets - I just put in mu-plugins and let everybody use them if they want to.

I have on my to do list Viper007's list all plugins plugin to try out and see if that works on MU.

16. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

> how about opening up the subdirectory and taking a looksee? :)

heh. Well, I suppose by that token we'd not need an admin panel at all. Just get everyone to administer via the shell...

Thanks for looking at vipers' - it said it was incompatible when I tried it but that might be just due to it being overly specific when checking the wp version number.

17. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

(10:37:06) MartinCleaver: Can I give another user the blogsite super admin privs that 'admin' has?
    (10:39:12) cori[s]: I think you can grant up to user level 9, which is one below the admin user.
    (10:39:39) cori[s]: the only perm that user level 10 has that user level 9 doesn't is granting user level 9.
    (10:40:28) cori[s]: at least that's my recollection from std WP (YMMV, IANAWPD and haven't read all the associated code)

(from IRC)

18. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Can I give another user the blogsite super admin privs that 'admin' has?"

The guy gave you the wrong answer for MU.
    Also, he was referencing the old userlevels for standard WP (which MU also has for each blog.)

IF you want another person to be admin for your *entire* MU site (like you are) go to:
    /wp-admin/wpmu-options.php (IE, the OPtion tab under Site Admin)
    Scroll down and look for:
    Administration Settings
    Site Admins: (text box here)
    These users may login to the main blog and administer the site.
    The word "admin" will already be in there. Fill in the username of whomever else you want to be SuperAdmin.

19. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

aha. Great. Thanks andrea_r

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It was a ticket a couple of months ago that they'll also be given a listing on your Users page as well now for the main blog if you follow Andrea's method.

About this Topic