The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Search not working for a non-VHOSt installation? (9 posts)

1. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,

i cant' get the search function working for both the main blog (the goal is to search over all blogs) and in each blog (goal: search within posts of the blog where the search is performed)
    In both case i get the

"Fatal Error
    Could Not Find Blog!
    etc.."
    error.

Anybody having this work for a non-VHOST installation?

Thanks for any hint...

PS: i;m NOT looking for an external search service like google, the search should be performed within the server...

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Got a link?

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Which search function are we talking about anyway?

Doesn't that error also lead you to a page that suggests a list of question you should answer so we can help you?

4. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

debrouille, time to edit your sidebars/widgets(wherever you find a searchform):

find:
    <form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">

and change to:
    <form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo get_bloginfo('url'), $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">

I call this my "searchform hack" and is always a must do when "massaging" new themes.

If you use widgets, don't forget the search widget buried in widgets.php.

D. Sader

5. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't understand. Do you mean that without this hack it searches across all blogs on the site, but that this creates a per-blog search?

6. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

No. To search across all blogs, I use a google widget.(gsearch.php widget).

The search of the home blog is a search function built into whatever theme you build your home upon and will only search the home blog. Ditto for each blog.

However, as a non-vhost, I must edit each and every theme, including the home theme, as above, to enable searchforms built into the theme. The hack enables the searchform to search posts/comments/pages in the blog. Without the hack, every search on any blogs lands on the home blog with an I can't find your blog error.

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

So, is there a case where this code may be usefully be included in wpmu?

8. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

This "hack" is for themes, addons. The code needed to fix wpmu so searchform actions work in vhost and non-vhost would be something else in wpmu core files. That I don't know how to do.

9. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you dsader, your hack
    replace:
    <form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">

by:
    <form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo get_bloginfo('url'), $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">

worked! After i sorrected it a little bit: should be
    <form method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo get_bloginfo('url'); ?>">

But i'm still looking for a solution to search sidewide (across all blogs)... ans i still don't want a google widget ;-)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by debrouille
  • Latest reply from debrouille