The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wildcard DNS (5 posts)

1. gamefanatic
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello,

I have installed Wordpress 3.0 on my site and am trying to get the subdirectories to work. I have received the "warning! Wildcard DNS may not be configured on your system" error, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I created a blog using subdomains on my site, but it leads me to my host's "Unconfigured Site" error page, which tells me that I don't have Wildcard DNS configured.

Unfortunately, I have looked at the DNS page in my hosting provider, and can't make heads or tails of it. I tried what I believe would make it work, but to no avail.

I'm using Bravenet/Bravehost as my host. Has anyone here used Bravenet before, and does it support Wildcard DNS? If so, how do you activate it?

Thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Has anyone here used Bravenet before, and does it support Wildcard DNS?

Have you asked the support team there?

The wildcard subdomains is a two-step process. Even if you have the DNS configured right, if it's not done on the server, then it will not work.

3. gamefanatic
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have, and two from the support team have answered me. Unfortunately, they both seem to have no clue as to what they are talking about. :/ That's why I wanted to see if anyone here has configured wildcard DNS with Bravenet.

Now, would those at Bravenet have to configure wildcard on the server, or would I be able to do that?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Do you have access to Apache vhosts? that's what needs to happen.

(my guess is no)

5. gamefanatic
    Posted 13 years ago #

No, I don't.

After some thought and research, though (and after I installed BuddyPress onto my site), I have decided that I am just going to use subdirectories.

Thanks for your help, Andrea!

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by gamefanatic
  • Latest reply from gamefanatic