The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

tried to change the location of my "root" blog (17 posts)

1. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am using WPMU with buddypress.

My blog was placed on the home page and I tried to move it to it's own page.
    I created a new home page and new page for the blog.
    I went to settings>reading and changed the home and blog pages.

When I went to my blogs tab and tried to select my blog, it only took me back to my home page.
    So I went to SiteAdmin>Blogs and edited the setup of the blog there to the new URL for the blog.

Now I get :

Fatal Error
    If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Could Not Find Blog!
    Searched for totalfootballleagues.com/ in backinfi_bdd2::bdd_blogs table. Is that right?

What do I do now?
    Read the bug report page. Some of the guidelines there may help you figure out what went wrong.
    If you're still stuck with this message, then check that your database contains the following tables:

* bdd_blogs
    * bdd_users
    * bdd_usermeta
    * bdd_site
    * bdd_sitemeta
    * bdd_sitecategories

If you suspect a problem please report it to the support forums but you must include the information asked for in the WPMU bug reporting guidelines!

I'm sure I just need to change back that path in a file, to get back to where I was.
    Only where is it?

Can someone please help me with this?
    And if anyone can explain who I need to what I'm trying to do, that might help to.

Kind regards

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

"So I went to SiteAdmin>Blogs and edited the setup of the blog there to the new URL for the blog. "

You have to fix this by going into the database (got phpmyadmin?) and fixing it back to what it was.

3. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

yes - I have phpmyadmin
    Any ideas where the right value to edit resides?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

wp_1_options

5. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

I changed the reference back to the original path (the root path) , I confirmed it in "_options", "_blogs" & "_site"

I still have the same error.

I changed the path to include "http://www." , still no good.
    I changed the path to include "www." , still no good.
    I changed the path to include http://" , still no good.

I have now left all references to the URL with "http://" prefixed.

any other help very much appreciated!

6. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have now removed the "http://" and any "www" - still no good.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

So I went to SiteAdmin>Blogs and edited the setup of the blog there to the new URL for the blog.

Search the entire database this time for the info that you had put in.

When you set a different page for the front, there was absolutely no need to go changing URLs.

And if you could put in a link to your site, that'd be great.

8. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

the URL is in the error I specified.
    I have looked through the db for ref of the line and can't find it.

So I have become fed up looking to fix and am trying to go to a backup before the changes were made, which will hopefully be ok.
    I know there were other things that I needed to fix, so 3 steps back to step forward is better than no going forward.

If anyone can point me in a direction to reference about changing the location of the main blog, it may help.

Like I say, my main blog has been on the home page and I wanted to replace this home page with it's own page and want the blog available from the blogs menu.

Thank for all your help so far.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

You don't change the location of the main blog.

If you want a page set as the main page and the blog entries off on another page, it's exactly the same as it would be in single WordPress.

Do not edit any actual url locations next time.

make a Page in the main blog with whatever you want to show on the front. Or, create a home.php file for your main blog's theme. That'll show automatically.

make another page template that shows all your blog entries, and call it "blog". write a new page, pick that template. Ta da.

10. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

Like you say, you should be able to change the home page and blog page in the same way you would with normal wordpress.

In Settings>reading I changed the location of my Home to it's own home page and the location of my blog, to it's own page, a page which I have hidden from the main menu.

I am using fishbook for my buddypress theme and I think this has something to do with it.

The theme has it's own page for listing all the blogs on the multiuser setup (a page in theme called "blogs").
    Included there is the blog that was origionally associated with my URL root.

However, when I click on the link here, it takes me to the home page.

If you look at Site Admin > Blogs the path of my blog shows "/" and nothing else. Which I guess means the root. So like I said, last time I changed this it messed up and you tell me not to change it.

So any ideas?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am using fishbook for my buddypress theme and I think this has something to do with it.

That is the problem.

If you look at Site Admin > Blogs the path of my blog shows "/" and nothing else. Which I guess means the root. So like I said, last time I changed this it messed up and you tell me not to change it.

And again, I'm telling you DO NOT change it.

Give me a link to your site please.

12. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

13. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I think part of the problem is you may be expecting the URL of your root blog to change in the blog listing. It won't. It never will.

People will just have to click twice, or you can set up a second blog.

14. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

"People will just have to click twice, "
    not sure what this means, but the rest I was figuring!

15. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Click once on the main url of the blog, then click the "blog" link in the navbar. :)

16. hkcharlie
    Posted 13 years ago #

that doesn't work either

17. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Did you make a page called "blog" in the backend?

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by hkcharlie
  • Latest reply from andrea_r