The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

General basics (16 posts)

1. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi girls & guys,

pardon me if all this stuff has been unswered but i couldn't find something by only reading through the forums.

I'm in the plans for a bloghosting-page for some weeks or months now and have reviewed different pieces of software so far. There was bloghoster.net, LifeType(pLog) and some other unfamous scripts. Also i've used wordpress for standalone-blogs for about a year now.

I really love wordpress and running a hosting service with wp sounds basicly nice :) I tested WPMU some longer time ago and it was kinda buggy and not very far developped at this time. I thought before installing it again i just could ask you. You already could collect some experiences and maybe know where it lacks and where it's perfect.

I would primarly be interested in performance issues (caching?), plugin and theme availability and so on.

Are you running some bigger MU's? How big? How much server power did you setup for the masses?

Would be nice to get some input from the pro's ;)

And sorry for my bad english - i'm a native german speaker and my english is rather poor.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm not having really any major issues now with WPMU. I'm running with about 200 blogs and about 10 regulars.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Same here - it's improved a whole lot. Should work fresh out of the box, it's only when you start fiddling it breaks now. ;)
    Over 240 registrations on my site, with about 20-30 regulars, +100 posts a day sitewide. I'm also running that on shared hosting.

4. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok sounds great so far. Glad to hear that mu is going its way. i think i'll give it a try. i started wordpress theme themeing some time ago so i think i would be able to make some of the normal wordpress designs working with mu. is there a guide anywhere about that?

And i would be happy if you could probably point me to some MU-Resources not directly linked on the site here (just in case there are any)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Re themes: Nope, there isn't a guide (even though I said I'd write one...hmmmm... ) mostly because if a theme works under WP, it most likely works under MU. Exceptions: themes with options pages using Ohz's theme toolkit.
    Other than that, give it a whirl.

The only other non-site MU resource place I can think of is http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com .

6. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok thanks, andrea. Thought there would probably be something like a MU-Codex or something i couldn't find so far.

I'm currently in the translation for MU into german and trying something out on the installation i did this morning. Looks quite fine so far.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, there are tiny stubs relating to MU in the regular WP codex itself, but they need work. Most of the rest is exactly the same as WP.

8. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

great to know - will have a look. and also good to hear that the basics are similar to 'normal' WP as i learned to know it a bit already.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

just in case anyone else is interested, the differences are:

- site admin menus added
    - no theme editor
    - no plugin editor

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've just gotten access to edit the trac wiki into a codex of sort. Trying to find the time. There's a thread here on the subject.

11. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks andrea and good to know, drmike. Thanks for spending your time for us.

12. Steph
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm also interested in scalability. Any idea what kind of server power/space a plateform with a few thousand blogs might need? what about a few tens of thousand?

I have a vserver of my own and 40G of space (quadri proc xenon if I'm not mistaken) but no idea if it's worth trying on it or not.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's a post here in the forum somewhere that lists what wp.com is using. :) (in general terms)

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lots of chewing gum and Podz running in one of those Hampster wheels? :)

15. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

and some duct tape. ;)

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Podz would probably like that.

About this Topic