The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

cleaning the wp_options table (6 posts)

1. markristaino
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hey Guys,

I have a relatively new Mu site with over 500 blogs... Its an extension of a very popular site so recruiting bloggers has been easy.

Unfortunately, being a newbie to Mu, i installed some plugins that I probably shouldn't have close to the beginning, and now all 500 blogs have bloated wp_options tables, and my mysql performance has suffered. I can't scale up my infrastructure due to budget constraints, so its spring cleaning time W/R/T the Wp_options tables.

Besides the plugin-related options rows, which are pertty easy to disqtinuish, there are a bunch of seemingly useless rows with names like "_transient_feed_0ff4b43bd116a9d8720d689c80e7dfd4"

Can I just delete these rows with reckless abandon?? What the heck are they and what do they do?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Haven't tried and I really wouldn;t worry about it but a quick google shows a number of plugins and discussions on the topic.

For example:

http://www.mittineague.com/dev/co.php

Again I haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps

3. markristaino
    Posted 13 years ago #

I don't need a plugin... i can do this manually. In fact, running "clean options" on over 500 blogs doesn't sound too appealing to me. I'd rather just write a script to clean them out. Thanks for trying to help though!

Back to my original questions:

There are a bunch of seemingly useless rows with names like "_transient_feed_0ff4b43bd116a9d8720d689c80e7dfd4"

Can I just delete these rows with reckless abandon?? What the heck are they and what do they do?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Those are the RSS feeds that get pulled in to the dashboard. Yes, they do fill up.

Delete away! :)

(you backed up first, right?)

5. markristaino
    Posted 13 years ago #

yes... backed up & deleted... a world of difference. Everyone should do this... Complete game changer for performance

Is this issue going to be resolved eventually? Pretty unnecessary bug

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

It's not a bug. They are put there on purpose.

There's plugins that don't clean out any fields or tables they add when you uninstall them; this is all part of continued maintenance on your site.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by markristaino
  • Latest reply from andrea_r