The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Looking for a plugin like plugin commander for 3.0 (14 posts)

1. n2rga
    Posted 13 years ago #

Looking for a plug in that will work with wordpress 3.0 like plug in commander
    I need to turn on or off the ability of sites in the network that will not be able to use certain plug ins or themes or edit them.

I tried plug in commander and it would not work. noticed there is no new versions since Plugin Commander 1.1.5 (17/10/2008)
    I Thought that there was a way to do it from wp3.0

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

If you;re using 3.0, best bet would be to ask on the support forums for 3.0. Chances are someone has taken a shot at it:

http://wordpress.org/support/forum/12

I believe they're trying to keep all of the 3.0 discussion together in one spot.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Network functionality is pretty much exactly the same in 3.0 as it in in mu right now.

4. n2rga
    Posted 13 years ago #

Wouldn't it be a feature that it should have been added.
    Would you want all blogs/sites to be able to access all the plugins you use on main site? I know i don't

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

You can turn off access to the plguin menu so only Super/Site admin see it.

users can't access the plugin editor or the theme editor unless they are a super admin.

plugins in the mu-plugins folder can't be shut off by other users. Neither can Network activate plugins when done so off the main blog.

6. vectyr
    Posted 13 years ago #

I would just like to have a particular plugin be activated automatically to all blogs on the site. Plugin Commander did this very well, is there another solution?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Network activate it?

8. vectyr
    Posted 13 years ago #

How is that done?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Click the button that says "Network activate". Right next to the "activate" link.

the plugin must be deactivated across all blogs on the network first.

10. vectyr
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hey, hey, this is brilliant! Thanks Andrea, you always have the answers!

11. n2rga
    Posted 13 years ago #

If I turn off access to the plugins menu then Super Admin has access but the add on blogs/site will not have access to plugins.
    I did put in a bug report for Plugin Commander and worked closely with the plugin author and another person on getting it to work with 3.0 and a new version was released that works perfect with multisite. It adds a plugin menu in the posts menu for users/site admins to activate or deactivate if the supper admin allows the user/siteadmin to use the plug in. You would have to turn off access to the plugins menu for all this to work that way in plugin commander
    What I really need and I have said this before is a switch in the plugins menu to turn access off or on for plugins per Blog/site (I think it should be a core feature in WP 3.0)or to be added to plugin commander. At the moment Plugin Commander just turns off or on for everyone.
    I know there is paid solution's for this feature from mudev but I don't have 75 Bucks a month to download and keep it up dated.

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Wait till someone gets around to writing and releasing a free version?
    Or see if the plugin commander guy will roll it in?

Waiting for it to show up in core, even if it were accepted, won't happen for a good couple of months at the very least, most optimistic view.

13. n2rga
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks Andrea.
    I did ask got no reply I guess he didn't want to commit to it. I'm having a phpBB Programmer friend that's familiar with phpBB, but not wordpress so its a new learning curve for him. He said he would get back to me. So for now I will allow ads free on add on sites. Having a problem finding 3.0 ready themes no menu support or headersupport yet from any of the theme developers. and the big problem I'm coming across when I do find one they have frameworks or epanels or what ever they call it and they don't work for add on sites to set the options. I want to put the site up already been working on it since 3.0 beta 1 hit the streets.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

the custom header option has been built in for quite a while now. It's not new.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/tag-filter/
    Pick the header & options page boxes and it will return 104 matches.

If the theme options pages aren't being set on the sub-blogs, the theme designers will have to fix it, plain and simple.

I do know of some premium theme that have the new menu features supported. you may wish to stick with the official repo for now. Most regular wordpress themes will work fine.

And you may wish to start a new thread over here:
    http://wordpress.org/support/forum/14

these forums will be read-only later today. Please see:
    http://ocaoimh.ie/mu-forums-moving/
    and http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/18502

Thanks!

About this Topic