The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade Attempt Failed (3 posts)

1. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

After read through all threads regarding the upgrade, I thought I was ready. But last night when I tried to upgrade my site (with 5-month old build) to 8-24 nightly build, it was a disappointment. It seems that I miss something which maybe very obvious. Some previous upgrade threads said that after you uploaded the new files, you just needed to click Upgrade link in Site Admin panel. But my problem was that I could even access my site after I uploaded the new files. It gave me something like "It looks like WP has NOT been installed…".

OK, I remember another thread said, you should open browser and run http://mysite.com/wp-inst/wp-admin/upgrade.php after uploaded the new files. I tried this way, at least it showed me the Upgrade page. After I click the link on the page, it tell me right away that "It's only one step…Done...Have Fun". But really nothing had happened as I noticed. The .htaccess file was still the old one under /public_html/. I was told that the new .htaccess was much much shorter.

Following were the detailed steps I took last night.

1. Backed up root (/public_html), database to my local computer
    2. Create a new directory called /workingcopy at the same level of /public_html, COPY /public_html to the new directory.
    3. Create a new directory called /nightly_build at the same level of /public_html, upload and unzip the 8-24 nightly build. So folder structure is like /nightly_build/wpmu-2006-08-24/*.*. One question I have here is that it doesn't have /wp-inst directory, so I think whatever is in /wpmu-2006-08-24 should be copied to /public_html/wp-inst/. Is this assumption right?
    4. Now, I start copy files from /nightly_build/wpmu-2006-08-24/ to /public_html/wp-inst/. My old themes and blog.dirs folders should be intact.
    5. Then I copy following three files from /workingcopy/public_html/wp-inst/ to /public_html/wp-inst/:
    .htaccess, wp-config.php, wpmu-settings.php
    6. At this point, my site is not accessible. But when I run in the browser http://mysite.com/wp-inst/wp-admin/upgrade.php , it tried and came back telling me it's done. When I tried to access my site, it displayed the default WPMU theme. I tried to login using "admin" account, it just refreshed the page.

What did I miss? In addition, when people said they could click the Upgrade from Site Admin page, was it for the minor upgrade meaning only copy and paste small amount of codes, in which case the site is still available?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Try the steps given in the Upgrade Guide at http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/wiki/UpgradingWpmu There is no need for wp-inst and you should have overwriiten your old .htaccess with the new one in htaccess.dist making sure to change BASE and copy over your wp-config.php. The Upgrade Guide spells all of this out.

3. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the reply. It sounds much more clear now. So after I move files and folders from /wp-inst to the /public_html, I can just remove the empty /wp-inst? After I create .htaccess from htaccess.dist and edit BASE, I should be able to access the web site, right?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I shouldn't touch wpmu-settings, right?

I can't wait to try it tonight.

Thanks

About this Topic