The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

email does not work (mail server) (9 posts)

1. prameya
    Posted 17 years ago #

i installed mu on my home server, everything worked fine.. the installation was a breeze, the re-write mod wasn't enabled but, that was taken care of in just a few secs.

Then I was about to login into the admin panel, when I realized I had not received my password. I tried using the lost password and have it resend it, but no help. I am suspecting, I have no mail server.

Can you please let me know what mail server requirements mu has, and how to achieve it? I am 'ok' on setting mysql and apache on rhel 4.0... but mail server is beyond my scope... so.. basic please :p

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you're running Red Hat, you should have sendmail already in there.

Best bet would be to visit http://sendmail.org and read up on it.

3. Sy4
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think also by Default the "Sendmail" php process is set to Off.

You might want to turn this on :)

Rgds
    Matt

4. prameya
    Posted 17 years ago #

sy4... and how do i do that?

5. Sy4
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have no idea..lol...

I use hosting provided by a good friend and they do it all for me.

I would suggest having a look at your server documentation and searching for "sendmail" or "send_mail" and see where the settings are on the box, then edit them.

Sorry I couldnt help any further, hopefully a Linux server guru is viewing and can help, maybe Dr Mike? :)

EDIT: Just read Mikes post above. Check through the sendmail.org documentation :)

6. prameya
    Posted 17 years ago #

i did.. the documentation is like sanskrit books!! :p (i am supposed to be able to read sanskrit).. but thanks a lot.. looks like I might be able to figure it out... i will post the solution, IF i find them...

thanks again!

7. Sy4
    Posted 17 years ago #

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Should actually be already installed. Probably just needs to be turned on.

9. prameya
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok.. my server has xmail installed... but i still cant get it to work...

About this Topic