The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problems with adding categories after upgrading to 3.0 (5 posts)

1. husdaman
    Posted 13 years ago #

So I just upgraded our wordpress mu 2.92 installation to 3.0. Everything went well until I tried to add a category to Post or Links.

When I try to add the category via single post method I get the following error.
    "Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in C:\wamp\www\wp-admin\admin-ajax.php on line 242"

When I try to add it via Categories or Link Categories I get the following error.

"Could not insert term into the database"

Can someone please help with this. I even disabled all plugins to get this to work but it did not fix the issue.

2. husdaman
    Posted 13 years ago #

I just noticed that this happens after adding 2 categories. So when I add a 3rd one from the categories menu under "Posts" I get the "Could not insert term into the database". This is weird. In 2.92 it worked fine, not sure what is going on.

3. husdaman
    Posted 13 years ago #

So I've found a temporary fix for this.

1. Go into your database.
    2. Find your wp_yoursitenumber_terms table in you wp database
    3. insert a new row with term_id, name and slug entered
    4. After it is added, delete it.
    5. Insert new categories view wordpress.

This is a weird error but this is the solution right now.

4. joehuffman2
    Posted 13 years ago #

I had this error in an upgrade last year and this one, and for me it seems that the form conflicts with Firefox.

Will check into db solution though. Weird error indeed.

5. husdaman
    Posted 13 years ago #

I tried this with different browsers but nothing still. Its like the terms table gets locked and doesn't want to add a new category until I manually go into the database and add a row and then delete it.

Once this is done, wordpress 3.0 has no problems with adding categories.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by husdaman
  • Latest reply from husdaman