The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Mergin Multiple Sites on Different Domains (2 posts)

1. mrgee
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello.

I've been running various Wordpress sites on different domains. Let's say:
    gamingsite.com, business.com and software.net are my sites. They all are on the same VPS, but they have separate databases (and different database prefix, e.g business_, games_, soft_). They are not subfolders or subdomain installations of a single blog. They are each on a separate Cpanel account.

Now that I've upgraded all of their versions to Wordpress 3.0, which supports multiple site installation called MU, how do I manage all these sites from a single blog admin panel (e.g manage them all from the business.com admin panel)? I was guessing that there would be just a simple screen in the admin panel where I can add additional blog URLs along with admin usernames and passwords, but it seems that it's not as easy. I've read that I have to add some A entries to the domain's DNS and move some files/databases probably.

What is the simplest way?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Go to your main 3.0 install. make a new site. this is your working/test site.

Go to the site you want to move under tools - Export.

Now go back to the 3.0 site & Import. There, we moved the content. Move over plugins & themes and get everything set up like the original.

last step, install the domain mapping plugin.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

Sett hat up and off you go.

One word of note: you can manage *some* aspects of your sites with the one admin area. You still need to access the backend of each separately when you want to do blog-specific things, like post.

But now you'll have one login across the board, one set of plugins & themes.

About this Topic