The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Avatar file names different on the site vs. blogs.dir folder (11 posts)

1. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'm not sure, if this problem relates more to WordPress MU or BuddyPress. I've set up a website using them both, but I can't get the avatars to display. When the user uploads an avatar image, there is no error message and the image gets saved in /wp-content/blogs.dir/. However the image isn't displaying at any point, and I've figured out, that the file name for the image, that is being retrieved on the website, is different from the file name in blogs.dir. The file names in blogs.dir are the original names, whilst the file names on the website have been rewritten. For some reason the name rewriting process isn't happening for the images in blogs.dir folder. Does anybody know why that could be, and how it could be fixed?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

This is controlled by your htaccess file. It's default behaviour and it is supposed to do this.

Make sure

AllowOverride FileInfo Options

is in the apche httpd.conf file.

3. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

I can't see any file called httpd.conf. Should I create one, and then copy paste in there this line "AllowOverride FileInfo Options"?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

It's a server file .Do you have root access to the server itself?

(if you are on a shared host the answer is no)

5. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

No, I'm on a shared host. What can I do then?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Tell then changes to your htacess file aren't being read properly.

7. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

I've now had a word with One.com about this. They say, that they don't have support for "AllowOverride FileInfo Options". However, they do support the following:

AllowOverride FileInfo Indexes

Would this be any good?

8. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

Sorry, I posted before I'd seen your latest message.

I haven't made any changes to my htaccess file. This is how it looks:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

Is everything correct there?

9. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

I've talked with two One.com support people now. First one thought it was strange this wasn't working, because they do support MU, but the second one said, that there servers don't support it, because of how it handles subdomains. I'm not even using subdomains, but folders for the blogs.

However, I did come to think of one perhaps major difference between this installation, that isn't working, and the other one I managed to get working properly on my other domain. The other installation was in a sub folder, whereas this one, that I'm now working on, has been installed to the root. I wonder if, that could be making a difference.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Could be how they have their servers set up, because if anything it should work fine from the root.

11. wepster
    Posted 13 years ago #

This whole thing was due to my own mistake. I re-installed the site, and spotted something in the instructions, that I'd missed before. I hadn't changed the permissions for wp-content folder, and the rewrite not working was a result of that.

About this Topic