The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Migration - Cannot add New posts (8 posts)

1. kosmo_p
    Posted 13 years ago #

First, Thanks for any help or insight you might be able to provide...

I recently migrated a WPMU install to a dedicated server after being on a shared host.

I copied all the files over via FTP, did a dump of the previous DB.

Then uploaded the files, created a new DB on the new account and dumped the old DB copy into it.

I have read that editing the wp-config.php is not a good idea - so I renamed the original version and kept it as a back. I also renamed the .htaccess and kept that as a backup.

then visited the site - which brought up the install screen - ran through the install and the site was live again.

After what appeared to work - I started testing functionality and noticed that I cannot add articles without getting the error - "Your attempt to edit this post: “this is a test” has failed."

Once I get the error - I if I go back to the dashboard the article is there and set as a draft. If I use quick edit - and make the article published it shows on the home page.

what could be preventing the article from being published via "add post"?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have read that editing the wp-config.php is not a good idea

that only referred to the initial install. Once it's installed, you can edit at will.

3. kosmo_p
    Posted 13 years ago #

Could not being able to "add new posts" be somehow related to the "Authentication Unique Keys"

I cant quite understand why this would not work at this point - everything is identical

4. kosmo_p
    Posted 13 years ago #

Another note - It appears this issue is only effecting the main WPMU blog the sub blogs do not have errors when making new posts

Anyone? have any ideas how I could fix this? Please?

5. kosmo_p
    Posted 13 years ago #

Anyone?

6. kosmo_p
    Posted 13 years ago #

I desperately need to resolve this issue.

With hopes of narrowing down the cause of the error" Your attempt to edit this post: “test” has failed. "

Can someone help me confirm when posting a new article - files that relate to the process???

post-new.php
    post.php
    functions.com
    edit.php

7. kosmo_p
    Posted 13 years ago #

Why!!!!!!

Following these instructions ...

1. open the file post-new.php found in the wp-admin folder
    2. find the line that says wp_enqueue_script('autosave'); and type // in front of it to turn it into a comment rather than a command (this way you can reenable the feature later if you decide to)
    3. save the file and replace the old one on your ftp client

from http://wordpress.org/support/topic/343079/page/2?replies=66

I am extremely frustrated about this issue... I would really like to know why this occurred - I am greatful to "PFMRinteract" for his instructions on disabling autosave I at least can move on...

And since I moved from a shared account to a dedicated box with this WPMU install - I suspect it is a server setting related to Apache or PHP - But which one - I have applied everything as stated here - http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/README.txt

Before finding the above band-aid from "PFMRinteract" I had spent countless hours trying to figure this out - and I am concerned about upgrades

what happens when I click the message in my dashboard prompting me to upgrade?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

And since I moved from a shared account to a dedicated box with this WPMU install - I suspect it is a server setting related to Apache or PHP

Yes, if you moved hosts and immediately had issues, then that's exactly the case.

Get things sorted out as best you can. Then upgrade. Upgrading may or may not fix some issues.

http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/upgrading-from-wpmu-to-wp-3-0/

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by kosmo_p
  • Latest reply from andrea_r