The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain Name Madness (8 posts)

1. Andy Schmidt
    Posted 13 years ago #

After my client was in panic because WordPress MU broke (unable to log in), I started googling for known bugs - and I think I have learned the following (and would like to validate my thinking):

Apparently WordPress MU ONLY supports:
    http://blog.domain.tld (subdomain)
    http://domain.tld/blog (subfolder)
    for any blogs that are created after the main blog http://domain.tld

Yet, to "disguise" this fact, you can log in as the Super Admin, access any of the "sub" blogs, go to "edit" and change the "domain", "siturl", "home" settings etc to a different domain name - but doing so will just break the sub blog because you can no longer log in? So any normal person (= WP MU novice) will see this screen and have all expectation that THOSE fields is what's needed to assign a different domain name. NOWHERE on that screen does it indicate DIFFERENTLY!

Is it really possible that this product is intentionally displaying a screen that INVITES you to pick a different domain name for the "sub" blogs - even though it doesn't function if you do so?

I do realize that there are "domain mapping" plugins. But before I start messing with that I'm desperately trying to understand the though process of the developers! I can't believe any reasonable person would think it's correct for that that screen to even exist, if it serves no purpose? If there IS a reason for the ability to change the domain name in the settings screen, can someone please educate me WHAT this is supposed to accomplish.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

So any normal person (= WP MU novice) will see this screen and have all expectation that THOSE fields is what's needed to assign a different domain name.

That edit screen is only available to Super Admins. Not your "average" user. :) the screens exist as an easy way to access some of the db tables if you need to.

What if a user creates a site and mucks something up? You as the super admin can go into the edit screen and fix it for them.

And if you've added a fully qualified domain name to those fields without doing anything server-side to answer for that domain and direct it where to go... well, hardly the devs fault there.

Use the domain mapping plugin. Follow the directions. Tell your client to stop editing things he doesn't fully understand.

3. Andy Schmidt
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I'm aware of the mapping plug-in - and I'm grateful that someone took the time to put it together.

That wasn't really my point. The fact is, this issue will occur to every NEW WordPress MU user (experienced ones will have already learned the hard way when THEY were new). By definition a new WordPress MU user will be a novice - but will have Super Admin permissions, as this user IS the initial "only" person.

So THAT person is putting a blog together (as a staging site) and THEN looks for the option to assign a permanent domain name. They obviously will end up on the site setting screen - which very prominently invites any person who does not yet know better to change the domain name here.

Consequently, I think this is a "usability" issue. If these fields need to be there in the non-MU version and CAN be used in the non-MU version to "rename" a blog - then the MU version should have a thick fat advisory that this will BREAK the blog if you try to use those options for an MU blog. It should point users to the domain mapping plugin. In fact, I can't fathom why this plug-in is not part of the core - this is about the most "basic" requirement for taking a new site from a testing stage to the "live" state.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Andy, I've been helping out in the regular wordpress support forums for the full week since 3.0 dropped and thousands of new users hunted down the network feature.

"everyone" and "obviously" don't apply here, especially given the number of threads I've answered directing people to the plugin. ;)

If you think it's a usability issue, by all means, take it up with the UI team, file a trac ticket.

Full domain name support was actively decided against rolling in to core this time around. The plugin exists because it's more than just changing thsoe fields (as you've found out).

And while you may feel it is pretty basic - not everyone is using networks the same way you are. That's why there are choices & plugins. I'm reminded of a conversation where someone argued just as vehemently that domain mapping *never* be in core. ;)

5. meamrussian
    Posted 13 years ago #

I've also looked into Wordpress MU for the domain mapping feature. However, I just found out that the new Wordpress 3.0 already has a multi-site feature, much like Wordpress MU. Is there now additional benefit to using MU over regular Wordpress? Can Wordpress 3.0 also do domain mapping, or is that exclusive only to MU?

All help is appreciated =)

EDIT: Just did a quick search and found this: http://ocaoimh.ie/wordpress-30-domain-mapping-052/
    Is this basically the same thing as the MU plugin?

I'm now curious as to why someone would use MU if Wordpress 3.0 has the same functionality.

Thanks.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Because active development on WPMu has ended and has been rolled into the regular version of wp.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

If you install MU right now, you'll be prompted to upgrade to WordPress 3.0.

EDIT: Just did a quick search and found this: http://ocaoimh.ie/wordpress-30-domain-mapping-052/
    Is this basically the same thing as the MU plugin?

that's exactly the one I was referring to.

8. meamrussian
    Posted 13 years ago #

Ah so Wordpress MU is done for now. Thanks a lot for the response. I appreciate it.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by Andy Schmidt
  • Latest reply from meamrussian