The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

post by email? (37 posts)

1. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

It should be noted that WP.com is "based" on MU, and then they've modified it quite a bit. Most likely, they have their own private versioning for it, although I'm speculating.

MU isn't wp.com out of the box, that's for sure.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

As I said - its probably not hard to do. LJ do it, so the code must be in their repository. LJ used to be open source and you could download it but I don't know if this still is the case.

I think the only real use for post by email is when you're on the road and don't have access to a full web browser.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think the only real use for post by email is when you're on the road and don't have access to a full web browser.

That and for those folks who have only gotten to the level of sending email and anything else escapes them.

As I said - its probably not hard to do.

Please review the thread. Posting by email works fine and is built it. (I just tried it myself this morning.)

The only issue would be creating the email account on box. Any built in method driven by a plugin would depend on the hosting backend you're using. CPanel has a script to do it. Direct Admin has one. etc.

Best bet would be to set it up manually on your box as well as your mu site and charge ten bucks.

4. tommyk421
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Postie: http://www.economysizegeek.com/wp-mail/

Allows for more fine-grained control of emailed posts, including categories, image management etc.

5. bebopcool
    Posted 15 years ago #

postie does not seems to be working with wpmu ?

have you made it run by users on their own ?

6. geila898
    Posted 15 years ago #

Please review the thread. Posting by email works fine and is built it. (I just tried it myself this morning.)

Where is it built in? I've read through this thread several times and am still a bit confused on how to get the post by email working, I'd appreciate some clarification.

7. josswinn
    Posted 14 years ago #

With wp.com having just announced this for their platform, it reminded me that this feature was buried away in WPMU already. I've been through this thread and achieved the following:

1. Set up a pop account in options.php to retrieve mail from
    2. Written an email with image attachment and sent it to the mail box.
    3. Waited over 12 hours. The mail wasn't retrieved from the server.
    4. Manually refreshed http://myblog.example.com/wp-mail.php
    5. Successfully retrieved the email and deleted it from the remote server
    6. It is retrieved and kept as 'pending'/unpublished.
    7. Only the title/subject shows up. The message body and attachment are missing.

Can anyone shed any light on how to improve this, at least offering the same kind of functionality you might expect with xml-rpc or AtomPub? I want to be able to send an email with an attachment to a private address, have my blog pick it up within 15 mins and publish it.

Thank you.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by matrixmonkey
  • Latest reply from josswinn