The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade (3 posts)

1. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

Last week, with help from so many people here, I had successfully upgraded my site to 08-24 build from a 4-month old version. It was a big task. In order to avoid such a big overhaul in the future, I am planning to keep up with the ChangeLog. My question is, besides updating/replacing the files mentioned in the ChangeLog, what else I need to do? How to decide if I need to click Upgrade button in the Site Admin?

Thanks

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to mention this, I run through the Changesetsever day and copy and paste out of them. When you view the individual Changesets, they will include links to the full files if you want to just copy and paste out of those. I can't since I've been hacking away at teh code and would erase that if I did.

Any time you get a Changeset that includes a database bump, you need to run the upgrade. You'll note that 715 made changes to the database layout and that's why you would need to upgrade.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike,
    Very very helpful. I wasn't even aware of the Changesets, which shows me exactly what has been changed. Since I haven't hacked my site that much, I should be able to copy and paste the whole file. Except one thing I notice, follow the link to the complete file, I can't do Select All without line numbers. Any ideas? Of course, I can find way to go around it. But kind of inconvenient.

In terms of Upgrade button, I guess it's better always do it whenever I see any changes touching database objects. Do you agree?

Thanks again.

About this Topic