The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can I ask a YouTube question without getting my head bitten off? (20 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

First, I love WordPress and I love WordPress MU.

I appreciate the support I get in this forum, but the lasdt person I know who asked a question related to this topic was treated somewhat abruptly.

I hesitate to ask, but I will anyway since I think it's a setting within my WPmu installation that's causing this problem.

I'm trying to embed YouTube videos onto posts. Once the posts are published, the code seems to completely disappear, as if they are stripped out.

Right now, I have the visdual rich editor disabled. I've trying using the visual rich editor, but and editing the html, but that doesn't work either.

I have no trouble embedding YouTube on my regular Word Press blog. It's a matter of cutting and pasting.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Firstly, I'm sorry you were scared to post! A good forum community is always eager to field fresh questions.

That having been said there are a few other threads talking about plugins that work with MU and permit google and youtube video to be embedded into blogs. The WP-Extreme plugin found here: http://www.rossgerbasi.com/2006/01/21/extreme-video-plugin-20/. is a great plugin to use in your mu-plugins directory.

The instructions for how to get stuff to work after you've initialized the plugin are on that site somewhere, but in short:

To embed google video:

[gv data="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=6720695135510794303" width="365"][/gv]

And to embed youtube video:

[gv data="http://www.youtube.com/?v=WNS3VtrxJfo" width="365" height="300"][/gv]

Hope this helps!

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

billdennis5,

I'd be curious as to which thread that was. However, usually the only reasons someone would get an abrupt reply here is if they A) ask a question that has been answered many times and can be found via a search OR B) is flat out overly promoting a site, spamming, etc. Other than that the person replying might have just been having a bad/long day and if that's the case the person deserves a bit of slack because 99% of the people who help out here are volunteers. ;)

Never be afraid to ask a question here. Other than the occasional bad day like I mentioned above, everyone here usually bends over backwards to help people.

4. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

As I think about it now, it might have been the straight WordPress forum.

If so, I appologize to WPmu forum members.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will try it out at the first opportunity.

5. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

I followed the instructions and I can't even get my site to load.

I deleted the plugin and the other file and called it quits until I have more time to work on it.

It woduld be much simply if there was a way to flaw in WPmu that won't let it run YouTube like every other single blog software.

sigh.

6. ergate
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know other people have gotten the extreme video plugin to work, but I cant. I probably could if I was inclined, but I found something else to work on at the moment.

So I went with a different option, I think it is much easier one as well.
    Vipers video quicktags
    Its not perfect and if you read the comments (near the end) and check his support forum, you will see that there is a problem with the buttons showing up in the Visual rich editor, but it works perfectly when you shut the rich editor off.
    I and a couple other people at his site are working on trying to fix this problem.

7. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was unable to get Viper's video quick tage to work in WPMu. Works like a charm in a straight WP 2.0.4 installation, though.

I have found there's a serious problem with a lack of plugin compatibility with WPMu.

8. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, I installed and activated Viper's Video Quicktags.

The quicktags appeared in the non-rich text editor screen for NEW posts. Nothing happened with I clicked them. So, I manually wrote in the tag [ youtube ] and then a [ /youtube ], surrounding the identification code for that video (hint: it's everything to the right of the "v" in the URL when looking at YouTube page hoding the video clip.

Works like a charm.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have found there's a serious problem with a lack of plugin compatibility with WPMu.

That's because plugins are written for WordPress and WPMU is not the regular Wordpress a lot of people think it is. If you look at the code, there are a large number of differences.

Sort of like putting a 707 engine into a VW Beatle. Granted, they're both transportation vehicles but they are two seperate forms of transportation.

My issue with this forum, and I'm not pointing fingers at you Bill, you're just handy, is I feel like we're getting a lot of folks here where WPMU is above their knowledge level. I wonder if they've even run the regular Wordpress at any time in the past. WPMU is server software along the lines of Ensim or CPanel or Direct Admin. It's a device to create seperate accounts for folks. I know over in the support sites for those softwares, we don't have to tell folks 90% of the time "What's in your error logs?" or "What's you setup?" We do have to on occasion but not to this level that I'm seeing here.

I mean at least Bill knew what a plugin was and described what the method he was following to create his issue. That's better than most of the questions we get here. :)

I have over a dozen plugins (ie shortstat, sitewide, a theme counter, etc) I've written on my site that I would like to release here. Everyone of them needs no less then one line edited in the code with some of them a lot more. Not trying to be negative but I'm wondering if they would go over. I, for one, have no issue with editing code. I can picture some folks faces if I was to suggest that to people though.

But going back to the original question, I made a post here of a hacked version of ExtremeVideo that I use on my site that includes a download link for youtube. I don't know if you would be interested in such a thing.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Back to the original post with the original problem, it probably *was* getting stripped out. yes on purpose. Are you using an earlier build?

(sorry, brain fuzzy - I know this came up before.)

11. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, I am. I am frightened to death to upgrade.

;0

I know, I know. I shouldn't be. My upgrade from Wp 1.5.2 to WP 2.0.4 went perfectly.

But I have OTHER people's blogs on this site, so i am nervous.

http://blogpeoria.com

12. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike: That described me to a T. I wanted to create a WPmu installation because I wanted to establish a network of bloggers -- citizen journalists -- in my hometown, and I wanted to have more quality control that just telling folks to log onto Blogger. I am much more interested in what bloggers have to say than I am in creating/tinkering with servers and databases. I know just enough to be dangerous, I guess, although running Blog Peoria has taught me a lot.

The Blog Peoria Project is starting to work -- which is good because elections are coming up -- although more needs to be done. It works fairly well almost 100 percent of the time. It's those times it doesn't ...

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh Bill, I so understand - both of your last posts. :) (My MU site - homeschooljournal.net is a community of support as well.)

14. gestor
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm trying to use Vipers Videoquicktags and, other than the buttons not appearing in the editor, I have one problem: it only works as a 'normal' plugin that every user must activate. If I drop it in mu-plugins, it doesn't work. Anybody has the same issue? Any solutions?

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, I have the solution for you, go get it her:

http://an-archos.com/anarchy-media-player/

there is even a mu version of it, just drop it into the mu-plugins folder, worked out of the box for me, tested the latest stable and now the beta both work flawless, I'd suggest using the beta as it has some interesting features I like :-)

16. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ovidiu, are you able to upload flv files? I'm not able to do that no matter what I do, running MU 1.0 here.

17. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I never tried that, but you might check if you are allowed in severall places:

- there is a plugin allowing you to change the mime-types of allowed upload file types,
    - the wpmu option specifying what is allowed to upload
    - the file, I think its blogs.php where there is a list of specifically allowed/ not allowed filetypes

other than checking these places I have no clue where else to check. I never tried flv...

in blogs.php try adding flv to the list like this:

'class' => 'application/java',
    'tar' => 'application/x-tar',
    'zip' => 'application/zip',
    'gz|gzip' => 'application/x-gzip',
    'exe' => 'application/x-msdownload',

hope it helps

18. zimen
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow Anarchy works great!! Thank you

19. DoggyBloggy
    Posted 17 years ago #

A couple of things:

1. Anarchy worked out of the box for me. Like the other user, just drop it in the mu-plugins folder and then notice the two new buttons for adding embed code via simple href link from YouTube. It's seems less intuitive than just being able to copy/paste YouTube "embed" code into an entry, but I think it will work just fine for my users, who never seemed to be able to do anything but paste the href code anyway.

2. I have only been here a couple of days as I set up my new MU site and I guess I've seen some curt responses. . but none more than anywhere else. I'm intrigued by the assertion that MU is or should be only for more hard-core tech types. I'm middle of the road and definitely can't code php, but my guess is that MU will attract a lot of folks like myself and the other few posters here that want to set up blog networks for niche communities. My guess is that this is (we are) an intended audience for MU, as I'm sure Automattic will like as wide a distribution and use of MU as possible. How else can they expect to take on Blogger and the rest? So, my point is that you're going to see a lot more lower-tech people here trying to make their way.

I certainly appreciate all the efforts at support and hacks of plugins to add functionality provided by folks here. But, the increase in less techy people will mean that directions on how to do stuff will need to be more detailed and specific. Even if we can't "read" code, most people don't have a problem with copy/pasting or deleting code bits as long as they are told exactly what and where.

As an example, I've found the OSCommerce community to be exceptional at this. A "problem" with that project is that additional functionality generally comes in the form of core code hacks rather than plugins or modules. As a result, the culture there is to be very explicit. Wordpress is the opposite as it is more plug-n-play but MU is somewhere in the middle.

20. billdennis5
    Posted 16 years ago #

I finally was able to get my ancient version upgraded. Here is the thread where I describe the experience.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from billdennis5