The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

giving MU it's own directory - install directory (9 posts)

1. construct
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've searched, and tried - yet I want to have MU in it's own install directory such as /wpmu-install/ yet have all blogs and everything work from sub.example.com.

sub.example.com would act as my root - yet all of MU's files would reside in /wpmu-install/

This is exactly like giving Wordpress it's own install directory.

Thanks.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Point the subdomain to /wpmu-install/ within your subdomain manager.

Only other method would be to do it via htaccess redirects and that's going to kill your server.

I have to ask though. Why are you trying to create an install directory? Sounds like more work than what's needed.

3. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

I can see why he'd want to do this. I have mediawiki, textpattern, and wpmu all running on the same box. I don't really think all their files can just live in webroot. So each is in its own folder and the Apache config has virtual hosts which point to each folder as the webroot for that host. DNS is set up to resolve all the DNS requests for the appropriate hosts to this box. I just find it is much tidier. Let me say I have NO formal training with server administration. I just pick this stuff up on my own.

4. construct
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm trying to have an install directory just to keep wordpress MU files out of my root to better manage regular .html files and non related wordpress MU files. This is also because multiple people may end up having access, so they would not mess around with the MU files.

Also for the same reason kahless mentioned + I already have MU set up as a virtual host.

** by sub domain manager - I assume you are talking about dns and the like?

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed but in that case, I would just recommend subdomains which normally would be in seperate subdomains.

To use a subdomain and then a subdirectory on top of that with redirects is going to put a lot of strain on the server.

6. construct
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ahh I totally see what you mean.
    I can learn to live with it - better that than killing my server(s).

Maybe I'll see something that will work over time.
    Thanks again.

7. srfeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am also looking for way of installing wpmu in a directory such as /public_html/wpmu/ (where public_html is the webserver root) but having the following setup:

domain.com -> /public_html/wpmu/ being accessed by http://domain.com/

blog1.domain.com -> /public_html/blog1/ being accessed by subdomain http://blog1.domain.com/

blog2.domain.com -> /public_html/blog2/ being accessed by subdomain http://blog2.domain.com/

etc...

Is there any way to do this without having to install wmpu in /public_html (the server root?)

Thanks...

8. Brajeshwar
    Posted 16 years ago #

@SRFEO:
    I'm in the same situation as yours. Have you found the solution? Did you solve the situation?

9. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

put this in your root folder htaccess :

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.domain.com
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/mu-directory
    RewriteRule ^(.*) /mu-directory/$1 [L]

this will have anything on a subdomain other than www served from mu in its folder and still appear as served from root.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by construct
  • Latest reply from quenting