The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Vhosts with DirectAdmin (6 posts)

1. Smoothie
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi there,

First off - WPMU is brilliant, thanks very much for the work that you've put into it. It's proven itself to have been more than worthwhile ;).

I have it set up and ready to go @ http://blogged.us.to - but, when people try to register for a blog, it creates a subdomain that won't work.

I have read about having to set up something with DNS on these forums, but they seem to be quite ambiguous and I haven't come across any that apply to the DirectAdmin control panel (cPanel alternative).

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide simple, clear instructions of all the steps I need to take to make these subdomains work. If you haven't experience with DA, please let me know the generic steps to take and I will try to contact DA's staff to find out how it applies to their software.

Thanks in advance.

2. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

I think that unless youy have / understand she;ll access you need to talk to your hosting providers. Ask them to:

create a dns wildcard alias and an apache wildcard virtual hosts for ladedadeda.com

3. Smoothie
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks for your attention, I'll get in contact with them ASAP.

4. Smoothie
    Posted 18 years ago #

Using the subdomains now redirects to my host's IP (eg. http://www.test.blogged.us.to) after setting up a wildcard CNAME to point to the IP. Is it correct to say that the host still needs to do something at their level that I can't, or is it now a case of needing a .htaccess configuation? Thanks.

5. Smoothie
    Posted 18 years ago #

Final question - will the Vhosts setup work with shared hosting, or does it require a dedicated server?

6. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

I use shared hosting and it seems to work just fine.

About this Topic